Saturday, November 6, 2010

After Six Months of Waiting…

039

Our family, minus the grandchildren who were running wild.  You will notice that it took some of our children only minutes to change from their Sunday attire.  Also, I chose this picture because we love our shoes—compliments of Uncle Rob. 

We spoke in church on October 31, 2010 and spent the rest of the day crying—we were truly overwhelmed by the love that was shown us. Our family and friends came out in droves to support us and send us off with full stomachs and heavy hearts.  Thanks for coming (in some cases long distances—Haners all the way from Oregon), for bringing such delicious food, and most of all for being so very loveable.

The traditional picture at the world map in the lobby of the MTC

We entered the MTC on Monday morning, November 1.  We’re still sorting through our feelings about this place.  The schedule is exhausting for two people who are not used to sitting and using our minds for eight hours straight.  The food in the cafeteria is very mediocre (thank goodness we are staying with Jill and she prepares delicious meals at night).  The younger missionaries look like infants to us, but we are so impressed with their numbers (2,000 in here right now), their enthusiasm, and their courtesy.  The senior couples we entered with are nothing short of spectacular.  They are happy, earnest, and filled with faith.  We have been soaking up their courage and reveling in their testimonies.

John was called as district leader because the sister making the assignments happened to be from Hyrum (Melvin Lilijenquist’s daughter for all you Hyrum folks).  Our district was made up of five couples.  Much of our time was spent in classroom instruction with them.  We are truly amazed how attached we became to these people.  Every one of the men in our district has been a bishop and some have been stake presidents or in stake presidencies.  The experience this group brings to their assignments is vast.  They are all bright and articulate and the Spirit follows them and lights their countenances.  We love them!

  From left to right: Sister Taggart and Elder Taggart—headed to Zimbabwe and Zambia, Sister Porter and Elder Porter—going to Johannesburg, South Africa.  Aren’t they cute? 

Elder Porter, Elder and Sister Bryant—bound for St. Louis, Sister Grover (our afternoon instructor), Sister and Elder Burton—we might be seeing them in New Zealand.  They will be living in Auckland, but Elder Burton, who is a physician, will be medical advisor for the South Pacific area.

We are so impressed with the young returned missionaries who instruct us.  They are knowledgeable and well practiced in teaching by the Spirit.  Sister Grover is from Midland, Idaho and served in the New York, New York South mission.  Brother Cropper is from Oregon and served in the Tampa, Florida Mission.  He is a great-grandson of President Nathan Eldon Tanner.

Elder Cropper, our morning instructor.

When we come home at night to Jill’s we tell the kids all about our adventures, but they are only interested in two things…

The endless chocolate milk dispenser, and…

 

the cold cereal bins.  I think those two things might convince the twins to serve missions when they turn 19.

Three more days of training and we’ll be off to New Zealand.  We are grateful to be here, grateful for our call, and thankful for our companions.

23 comments:

  1. Greatest. blog. ever.

    I am so very excited to watch this progress of yours in the mission field! Be sure to stroke my ego often by speaking of how much of an influence I am on your daily decisions.

    We love you and miss you already!

    Love,
    Eric, Emily, Jenny, Paul, Lydia the Barbarian, and Zygote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog. You guys must have a stellar blogging teacher, who, by the way, will be very disappointed if you don't use your new skills to update this blog at LEAST once a week.

    We have loved having you stay with us during you MTC experience. Mostly because we get to hear first hand about the chocolate milk and cereal dispensers. The MTC is so cool.

    We love you guys and this blog is now officially our favorite for the next year and half.

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm impressed! Maybe Jill could teach me to blog.
    Dave made a scarey statement this week. He said, "Maybe we should go on a mission". It put you two in a totally new light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the mission call and the MTC.... You're going to make wonderful missionaries... I look forward to reading your blog and hearing all about the mission. I'm so jealous and proud of you. Good job.... (am I back in the will?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about this blog. Are you jealous of the Africa calls of the other missionaries in your district?

    ReplyDelete
  6. tell the African missionaries that they will love the experience. Zimbabwe and Zambia is where our Justin served and where we have gone for our Mothers Without Borders experiences. Jodi will be in Zambia in July of next year with a group. Maybe she will see the Taggart's. where are they from?
    What a great example you are to us!.
    Love the Weidmans

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE A BLOGGER!! I am so proud of you. Our grandson, Reggie Pincock, served in the New York, New York South Mission and returned home in December 2009. I wonder if he and Sister Grover overlapped in that mission. Your first week went well, I can tell!! When our son, Doug, was in the MTC years ago, he wrote and said, "The food here is only a little bit worse than at Ricks College!" I thought it was great because I didn't have to prepare it. It will be fun to keep up with your activities on this blog. Thanks for sharing all that good stuff! Have a great weekend. We send our love! (by Karen -- I'm too lazy to change the signature -- plus I forgot how.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for setting this up. It will be great to share this with you. John, drink an extra chocolate milk for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you and will be praying for you. Thanks for letting us share your experiences!

    Love,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a very encouraging post because I have been concerned about one of you -- I won't use any names but she was a Johnson -- "flunking out of the MTC".

    I am looking forward to the daily updates on this blog. New Zealand will never be the same after next week.

    I was also going to suggest you should post your farewell talks on the blog but thought better of that idea because I want to use the same talk when Rosie and I go on our mission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is lonely here already. The kitchen is quiet and Brenda is wondering how she will keep playing 5 Crowns without you. Love this blog. Will keep watching.
    Reed Christiansen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janice & John, what a great blog! It is great to hear about what you are doing and see the pictures. It makes Stephen and I eager for the time when we can go on a mission. We have been thinking of you and wondering if Janice has skipped any classes yet--just kidding! Thanks for the card. We are so happy we could come and see the both of you off as well as visit all our great friends in Utah! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK. This is the third time I have tried to leave a comment. (Where is Jill when I need her)? The pictures are great and you two look wonderful. I gained 5 pounds in the MTC (because I loved the food) and 15 pounds since then. I think it was Brad who said New Zealand would never be the same once you got there....We agree...It will be much better. I hope you took the blue purse. Love you guys! Mike and Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are excited for you, too. And Elder Porter used to be our stake president when we lived in SLC. We loved them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! We love you so much and are glad we can be a part of your mission through this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your adventures, and the photos. Keep 'em coming! We love you. Oh, how about posting your new mailing address?

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH I get it!!!!
    It took me 21/2 hours to find the place to enter my comments. (it at the end of the other comments)
    I am such a computer wizzz. Hey U an glad to be part of the new Zealand connection let see some fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Disclaimer
    I can't be held accountable for anything I type. because...
    I can't read what I type because I need glasses and don't want to use them SO... I am not responsible for any typos or irreverent comments. the irreverent comments have nothing to do with my eyesight but it still not my fault
    I am a product of my environment.

    Love Brian

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss both of you already! I can tell by your enthusiasm that you have caught the spirit of the MTC (or "empty sea" as my kids thought it was for years). We will miss you at the ward talent show this Saturday and I am sure that there are several people that would have asked you to play the piano for them if you were here, Janice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures. Don't leave anything out. . . not even the bad stuff. I hate reading fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are so excited for you. It sounds like they are keeping you busy. I guess that you are leaving tomorrow. Thanks for keeping up on things. Love ya Vicky and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stephen and I have been wondering how the flight went. Hope you managed it well. We are anxious to hear all about your life in New Zealand. Just wanted you to know that we've been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I tried to post a comment but it never appeared. Now I am wondering when the next blog entry will be. I want to know if you are still alive and enjoying New Zealand. I just bet the flight was a long one. I miss you.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete