Saturday, December 4, 2010

In the Land of the Kiwi

We have heard that missionaries get p-days (preparation days) which they use to get caught up on their laundry, clean their flats, and participate in some leisurely activities.  We haven’t had a p-day yet, so we have p-mornings (between 6 and 8 am) and some p-afternoons (after 5 pm) when we don’t have meetings, class, activities, or visiting to do.  In our p-mornings and p-afternoons we do a little exploring in and around Christchurch.  Here are a few things we discovered on this weeks excursions:

A Kiwi Refuge.

Deans Bush Park is a very short walk from our house.  There you will find the oldest standing cabin on the island.  It was built by Scottish immigrants, the Deans brothers, in the 1840’s.  (The whole Canterbury area was settled about the same time the Mormons got to Utah.)  There is also a much larger and finer home that was built by the widow of one of the Deans brothers, and some beautiful gardens.

Institute social 021

Institute social 060

Institute social 057 

This guy wasn’t the least bit bothered by me standing right above him.  He finally hobbled off on his crippled leg.

Institute social 045

The trees over here are something else.  It’s the first time I’ve felt tiny in a long time.

Every Saturday morning there is a market in the park—much like the farmers’ market at home.  But, the thing we found most interesting was this “kiwi zone”, or refuge for baby kiwis.

Institute social 024

When kiwi eggs are found, they are taken, protected, and hatched, then placed into one of these kiwi refuges.  There are double doors on the entrance.  The outside door must be closed before the inner door is opened.  This keeps predators like cats, dogs, rats, etc. from killing the baby birds.  If they are left to hatch in the wild, there is a 5% survival rate.  However, if they remain in a predator free zone until they are grown and then introduced into the wild, there is a 65% survival rate.  We were hoping to see a kiwi as we walked through, but we discovered that they are nocturnal. 

This kiwi refuge has the most beautiful little path through native plants with benches to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet.  We loved it in here.

Institute social 035

Parts of it felt and looked like the Sacred Grove.

Institute social 030

We loved the moss covered roots on these fantastic trees.

Institute social 038

I hope I don’t offend anyone, but I think this beats Davis Boulevard for a daily walk.

Christchurch Cathedral.

In the heart of Christchurch stands Cathedral Square with this beautiful Anglican church at its center. The cornerstone was laid in 1865, but the building wasn’t entirely finished until 1904.  The building was nice, but my favorite thing was the pipe organ.  A young girl from one of the universities was playing Christmas carols and it was glorious.  I need to find out if they give organ concerts.

Cathedral 005

Cathedral 008

This artsy shot was taken by John who always has a different way of looking at things.

Cathedral 022

Cathedral 001

This picture is for my grandson, Paul—tell your parents you want this chess set for your next birthday.  Chess players at Cathedral Square.

The Ocean—again.

We decided to drive to Lyttelton, the main port for Christchurch.  We discovered a little town much like Park City, built on hills.  After a short walk, our legs and feet felt very much at home.  There were some interesting things about the town, but the port itself is far from beautiful.  It is very industrial.  The thing I loved most about this port…the smell.  The freshly cut logs smelled delicious.

Week of November 29 004

Week of November 29 001

Week of November 29 018

Looking back at Lyttelton as we head up the pass.

From Lyttelton, we drove over a pass with the most narrow roads I’ve ever seen.  They made Logan Canyon roads look like Brigham Young built them.  And yes, Brad, there were bikers riding up and down the pass.  I guess biking must do something to wipe out the common sense portion of your brain.  It was scarey for me (the driver), but we and the bikers survived—this time.

Week of November 29 023

There was something about this site that frightened me.  I think it was the first time I realized that I was on a rather small island, completely surrounded by the ocean.  I have always been afraid of water and this was a tough reality check.  The mountains back home might scare some people, but they offer me a feeling of security.  This, on the other hand,….

Heading down out of the pass, we drove into Sumner.  We posted about Sumner before (our first encounter with the ocean), but we didn’t mind going there again.  It is a beautiful place.  We stopped at the beach and went for a walk.  It was the perfect evening.

Week of November 29 059

The sand was the most fine I’ve ever felt and the ocean was so warm.  Notice the absence of people.

We also work (I guess you can call it that, but it all seems so fun that it hardly feels like work).  This week the Bourne’s were gone to the temple (Amy and her sister, Laura, were going through for the first time and I can hardly wait to hear all about their trip), and Brother Bourne was in the middle of an institute lesson that he wanted to finish, so John and I were left in charge of Thursday night institute class.  We thought that most of the Young Adults wouldn’t come, knowing that class wasn’t going to be held, so we thought we’d just play a game if anyone showed up.  We had a few choices depending on the number attending.  I also decided to make treats.  I called Jill and Monica for some favorite recipes, went to the store only to find out that my decision on what to make would be determined by what ingredients were available.  I ended up making Lewis’ famous peanut butter bars that turned out to be something quite sub-par.  The peanut butter is different, the canned milk is different, and even the sugar is different.  I did the best I could, and put them in a Celsius oven at what I guessed would be approximately 350 degrees.  I was planning on the 20-25 minutes that Monica had suggested, but after 10 minutes they were smelling slightly burned and they were very crisp and falling apart.  John didn’t want me to waste the ingredients, so we melted the chips on top and made the peanut butter glaze.  They were edible, but that’s all I can say for them.  The young adults ate them without complaint.  We ended up having the biggest group ever (about 20) and we had a great time.

Institute social 017

Caesar, Kate, Mikayla, Stephanie, Monica, and Julia.

Institute social 014 

On the couches: Steven, Matt, Patricia, Brodie, Drew.  On the floor: Mel, Abby.

Institute social 016

The Campbell brothers: Marico and David.  David just got back from a mission this week.

After the activity, we had a great talk with Stephanie who is the Stake YSA representative.  She is eager to go visiting with us to meet the less-active YSA’s and we know our visits will be more effective if we take one of their peers with us.  We are still trying to get our lists updated and have been rather unsuccessful.  We can’t seem to find anyone with time to go over them with us.  Stephanie is going to share the information she has—hopefully her lists are more accurate.  This week we made a flier to leave in each home we visit.  Andrew could have made it look beautiful, but we did the best we could.

Week of November 29 008

Week of November 29 004

Week of November 29 005

We did make a few visits this week.  We found that some had moved years ago, but we did get to see a couple of kids.  We enjoyed them and know that this will be a favorite part of our work.

Saturday our ward had a Seniors Christmas Luncheon for those 60 and over at the institute.  (Many of our ward functions are held at the institute because our building was damaged in the earthquake)  We attended because we’re over 60 and we are in charge of the building.  Look at the faces of some of these darling people.

Week of November 29 122

Beth and Russel Colwell.  These people were converted and baptized 50 years ago by Alan Sumsion.  Alan and John sat next to each other on the High Council in the Bountiful, UT Stake. 

Week of November 29 121

These are my favorites: Elizabeth and Thelma.  They were the entertainment—a skit and a piano duet.  Elizabeth is possibly one of the sweetest people I’ve met—like Mom but with an Australian accent.  Thelma is a “ham” and full of fun.  I want to bring them home with me.

Sunday we attended the Ashburton branch to hand out seminary certificates of completion.  I believe I’m correct in saying that it’s the first time in my life that I’ve ever attended a “branch”.  Church is held in a building that is right in the middle of town and attached to other buildings.  There are a few classrooms behind the room they use for their chapel and they also have rooms in a building next door.  The Branch had set a goal to get 100 people out for their meetings in 2010.  That day they were 4 short of that goal.  They were a happy, friendly group—mostly Samoans.  They didn’t have anyone that could play the digital piano and asked if I would play in Sacrament Meeting.  I played the introduction to ‘With Wondering Awe’ and the congregation started to sing.  I was blown away.  They sang with such spirit and gusto.  I could hardly keep the tears back and wanted to take them all back home with me, put them in the choir seats of our 18th ward chapel, and let everyone hear and feel their spirits through their music.  I attended their Young Women and was asked by some of the girls if I would please teach them to play the piano.  I hope to find a way to help.  If I can get my hands on the church course for teaching keyboard, I will make special trips down there.  We are trying to get an institute class going in Ashburton (about an hour’s drive).  If we do, John could teach institute and I could give music lessons one night a week.  Something else for us to work out.

Ashburton branch 006 

Ashburton Seminary.  Front row left to right: Marina, Sala, Mata (the teacher), and Star.  Back row: Matthew, Toafa, and Romeo.

On our way back we saw mountains with a little bit of snow on the top and we listened to the Tabernacle Choir’s ‘Spirit Of The Season’ CD with Sissel.  I almost felt the Christmas Spirit.

Ashburton branch 010

This is the ‘White Christmas’ of New Zealand.

We got our New Zealand drivers licenses this week.  We did not have to pass a test.  We just filled out a form and paid some money and they let us drive.  I think it’s crazy, because we haven’t the faintest idea what we’re doing on these roads.  The greatest thing about getting a drivers license in New Zealand is that you don’t have to lie about your weight.  I was remembering when Carrie’s kids noticed her weight on her driver’s license—a number she had fudged on considerably.  They said, “Mom, it says you weigh______.”  Her quick reply, “I know.  Can you believe I ever weighed that much?”  I blame this forced dishonesty on the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state of Utah.  Mothers, and all people, are much more honest in New Zealand.  No one forces them to tell lies.

We also got our first mail from the states.  Thanks Aunt Kathy.  We love our Christmas presents.  All of the missionaries in the Johnson family will recognize these.

That’s right, missionary nose warmers.  Hey, I think I made one of these for John on his first mission 41 years ago. Kathy has kept the tradition going ever since.  If you’ve ever received one of these, perhaps you could leave a comment about them.

Today, December 5 for us, December 4 back home, Jenny was baptized.  I’m hoping we’ll see pictures and hear all about it.  We are proud of our sweet little Jenny and so glad that she is healthy once again.  The Lord heard and answered our prayers for her this year.  We love you Jenny.

And the best thing about the week….Eric and Emily announced that they are having a little BOY.  Thanks Eric and Emily for making things even for us.  That will make 4 grandsons and 4 granddaughters.  We couldn’t be happier!

We love the Lord, His work, and these people.  We feel blessed to be here doing what we’re doing.

11 comments:

  1. I love reading these posts! You two are busy. If you keep up this pace soon you'll be to busy to babysit for me on Skype!

    I can't believe how beautiful that place is. As cold and ugly as it's been here I'm almost ready to give up a white Christmas for the lush green of New Zealand. You guys are lucky.

    My favorite descriptions are of the people you work with. You are going to have all kind of friends that you're going to want to bring home when you come. Go ahead and bring them I say!

    We miss you both so much, but I don't feel so homesick for you when I see how much fun you're having. Mom, I'm so jealous that you got to walk on that lovely beach holding your shoes. I love doing that!

    We missed you today at the baptism. It was lovely and we all had a good time being together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a nose warmer when I was in Norway. It was a place where it would have been useful if I had dared wear it.

    Thanks for the great update. I wish all missionaries were as dedicated as you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys are getting out and about to experience the island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice, I had to laugh when you said that you had never attended a branch. You must be one of those sheltered Utah Mormons! Love reading the blog~keep writing.
    xxoxoxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so beautiful! I think you're rubbing it in, seeing as how Jenny went to the bus stop as the thermometer read -10. We love reading all of your adventures - can't wait to skype tonight. Love and miss you.

    ~Em

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't feel as far away when I saw how fast those nose-warmers got to you. I love the photography. My it is as beautiful as I have heard.

    I read in the Parade Magazine yesterday an article by Jack Black who said, "When I travel i always try to check out the local gardens and parks. My favorite botanical garden is in a town called Christchurch in New Zealand. It's got crazy prehistoric trees and Dr Seuss bushes." I hope you find that garden to explore.

    I missed the baptism. I kept the invitation of darling Jenny on on my fridge so I wouldn't forget and I looked at it yesterday and just felt sick. I am getting so forgetful it's frightening.

    I am wondering who is the best photographer. John or Janice. If Janice has taken some of those pics you have taught her well John.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comment Comment Commment... There.


    Kidding.

    It was splendid skyping tonight. I love the detail you use to blog. It helps me feel as though I am there experiencing it along with you. We miss you, but want you right where you are. (That's a compliment)

    Love,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good ole nose warmers-love it! My companion and I were going to go caroling with them once but then we forgot to bring them. I wish I could go on beautiful morning walks like you guys go on-Provo does not have much on New Zealand (there are even some cute YSA there...). I bet they loved playing games with you guys-did you whip out 5 Crowns with them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy sent me nose warmers in Bolivia and while I was in the MTC--my companions loved them! (They warmed my heart more than anything in Bolivia since it was mid summer at Christmas)

    Love the pictures! I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Demand a Pday if they won't give in come home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went up to visit with Brenda this afternoon and she gave me your blogspot address. What a wonderful job you do in giving all of us back in Utah a feel for the beauties of your new home, the love you have for the many new friends you have made, and the powerful spirit of the Lord's work that fills your daily lives! I had tears reading of your interactions with the Saints of New Zealand! We continue to be interested in your adventures and will read your posts regularly now that we know about it! Have a Merry Christmas! Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete