Monday, September 12, 2011

Never A Dull Moment

What a week!  Jill called on Tuesday.  Her news was frightening.  Mary Kate, who had been complaining for a few weeks about pains in her legs, was now having difficulty walking and was falling down. The next day, after a battery of tests, she was diagnosed with Guillian Barre Syndrome and spent the rest of the week in Primary Children’s Medical Center.  The doctors were surprised that it had progressed so slowly.  Patients are often paralyzed after 36 hours. There were some sleepless hours, lots of prayers, and many phone calls back and forth.  Once again we are so grateful for Skype.  We were able to ask our questions directly to the doctors.

005

That cute little head of hair that Jill is holding is Catherine.  Thanks Aunt Laurie for being my personal shopper.  It’s hard to be so far away, unable to help, and incapable of spoiling my sick granddaughter.

013

Mary Kate is home and doing well.  She is expected to recover completely after some intense physical therapy. We cannot adequately express our gratitude for good doctors, a good hospital, and the healing power of the priesthood.

Rugby World Cup began on Friday night.  This is the biggest thing to ever happen in New Zealand.  They have been counting down the days since we got here last November.  The opening ceremony was full of interesting things—mainly Hakas.  (John and I are practicing our own Haka for when we report our mission in church.  Very kiwi.)  The All Blacks trounced the Tongans in their first game.  I think Rugby will be the topic of conversation and the sum total of programming on television for the next month. The missionaries were instructed to go to their flats when rugby matches are on and they are not allowed to watch any of them. The mission president told Elder Neider that those rules are for the young missionaries and do not apply to the senior couples.  This is one time I wouldn’t mind following their rules.  John’s interested.  I’m not.

Our institute choir is practicing for a musical fireside in October. We’ve started having two practices a week.  Ellen Chen, who directs our choir, is only 19 years old and does a fantastic job.  She is confident, calm, and qualified.  Our one weakness is the men—too few.  Hopefully we can round up a few more in the next couple of weeks. 

014

Susan, Eva, Elena, Lorita, Tui, Wiki, Alyse, Hayley, and Moana—the sopranos.

016

Olive, Maverik, John, Justin, Trevor, and David.  We really need a few more bass voices.

Michael Lafaele left for BYU Hawaii.

001

Michael is such a great kid and I will miss our talks about all things “deep”.  I hate it when these kids leave, and they move on with their lives with some regularity.  They go on missions, they go away to college, or they move to Australia.  I don’t approve of any of it.

I recorded some of the Ashburton piano students.  As you listen to them, remember that these kids could not read one note of music 7 months ago.  I think they’re amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Okay...in my opinion your whole mission, you and dad being gone, not being here for certain things, us missing you so bad...it's all feels worth it to me after watching those piano student videos! I got a little choked up. Mom (and Dad because he's supportive), you've been able to teach those kids something that will be a joy for the rest of their lives (and helpful in church too). I'm so proud that you guys are my parents. Missions really are so important.

    Mary Kate is doing really well. She did fine in school today and she starts PT on Wednesday. She's still wobbly, but I think she's already getting better. She hasn't fallen since last week. She's such a good girl, and very strong. Thanks again for all your love, support, encouragement, prayer and of course, presents during this little ordeal. For being so far you were the best grandparents ever!!!

    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the piano students. They are remarkable for 7 months. I can't believe them. They must have a stupendous teacher. Mrs. Williams would be so proud. Do they practice hours every day?
    I was so frightened when I heard about Mary Kate. A dear man in our ward had the same thing a couple of years ago so I was familiar with how terrifying it can be. I am so thankful that she is doing well. We said many prayers for her here at the Thatchers.
    I'm going to tell all my piano student grandchildren to listen to your students. They are inspiring.
    Love you both
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jill and Kathy, You are a wonderful teacher Janice. Maybe when you come home you could teach me piano, since Mom made me quit taking from Sister Southwick. I think I was the only one that HAD to quit. But now my old fingers are so crooked that I most often make many mistakes while I am typing and so would surely do so on the piano also. Great blog as usual. I am sorry to have to tell you this but Brent and I are having to go to Switzerland to help out on the Weidman farm for a month. His cousin hurt his back. I am not a farm wife, (don't mind the eggs, but don't like their mothers). Reminds me of the chickens that Gma Amacher had. I told them I could maybe cook and clean, instead of milk the cows and haul hay.
    Happy Mission and can't wait to hear more of your triumphs and talents.

    ReplyDelete