Sunday, November 27, 2011

And The Winner Is….

There are many people and things on this mission that have truly been outstanding and worthy of recognition.  I reckon this is a good place to sing their praises.  I will address them in categories.

Best Student

It has been a privilege to work with all of the seminary and institute students.  We love each and everyone of them.  However, there has been one who has consistently risen above her class.  She read every word in the institute manual.  Her comments in class were always helpful, informative, and spot on.  When we had game nights to review the material we had covered, her team always dominated the competition.  Last week, after family home evening, she told story after story about the prophets we had studied.  I think she remembered every word we ever uttered in class.  And so, for excellence in her pursuit of gospel knowledge, here is Alyse James, winner of the PAUL V. JOHNSON scholarship. 

007

Being a PAUL V. JOHNSON scholar means a full-ride scholarship until she graduates from institute.  Alyse is the first ever recipient of this high honor. 

Best Kiwi Thanksgiving

We had an honest-to-goodness Thanksgiving dinner this year thanks to Margo and Kenny Neider who rounded up all the Americans from Ashburton and the Christchurch zone for turkey and all the trimmings.  We ate until we were stuffed, chatted until we were hoarse, and stayed until we were tiresome.  It is interesting how quickly and deeply I’ve grown to love these people.  There is an instantaneous level of understanding when you’re far from home, sharing concerns, and experiencing the same feelings.  Thank you, Neiders.  We love you.

046Margo Neider, Me, Terry (a recent convert from Georgia), Sister Nation, and Sister Chelius.  Sisters Nation and Chelius arrived this week from the U.S.  They are family history missionaries sent to Christchurch to photograph records.  Sister Chelius was a Munns from Orlando, Florida.  Her father and mother were friends of my parents and her brother was Andrew’s mission president in Boston when he was waiting for a visa.  It’s a small world. 

Great Kiwi Family and Home

Hare and Suzanne Pitama and their son Te Tera are a delightful family from our ward.  They have been teaching the ward young adult Sunday school class  and the mission prep classes for the stake.  They are bright, well educated, witty, fun, and marvelous role-models for the young adults.  Their home is beautiful and a place of welcome for so many people.

025

031

I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to the Christmas decorations mingled with shorts and flip flops.

032

Hare Pitama

033

Suzanne Pitama

Best Correspondents

I have often heard missionaries tell about how they received many letters from friends and family for the first few months but soon felt forgotten as mail became more infrequent.  Living in the age of technology, we have never expected letters.  However, when I first started this blog, I sometimes had up to 23 comments and responses.  As the months have passed, that number has dwindled to 2 or 3.  Our faithful followers have either become bored (I really can’t blame them for that), or they have forgotten us (out of sight, out of mind).  I want to give a shout out to those who have made us believe they were interested.  I have tallied the responses and have designated winners in several categories.

Children: Jill Dickey.  Jill only missed one blog entry.  She has a total of 57 points—nearly twice as much as her closest sibling.  We will see that the inheritance is distributed accordingly. 

Siblings: Kathy Thatcher with a total of 38.  Brad was a close second with 33.  It is a good thing that no one in this family is competitive—especially not Brad.  He won’t mind being second.  I’m sure he’ll just be happy for Kathy.   And the prize is…a weekend hideaway at Brad’s cabin.

In-laws:  Rosie Johnson.  No one else even came close.  Rosie, you win free room and board for as long as you want to stay in Christchurch during the month of January, 2012. 

Cousins: Terri Weidman. Terri, because you have proven to be so faithful and caring, you have won the right to be matriarch of the Johnson-Holmstead dynasty.

Friend: Krista Langan.  Krista has commented on my blog, via email, every single week.  Your prize, Krista, is dinner and an evening of conversation at a restaurant of your choice as soon as I get back. 

This really is not a competition, but I do want all of you back home to know just how much I appreciate your support, your strength, and your love.  Thank you for your interest in our lives and for cheering us on.

13 comments:

  1. I win, I win, I win! Yeah! It wasn't a very hard competition to win though, since I really love reading your blog posts. I'm just grateful for blogs so that I could share in your mission just a little bit.

    p.s. Brodie is supposed to call me today. Hopefully we can get together soon.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go back and comment on six past columns which, as luck would have it, will put me one ahead of Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'd known there would be PRIZES I'd have commented a lot more! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts, it is like serving a mission (almost) vicariously. Did I tell you that Brent and I are serving at the MTC as Church Service Missionaries. We love it, along with working in the temple on Mondays.
    Brent has to keep reminding me that I don't say "hey you guys" instead of Elders, you are not allowed to take your backpacks into the cafeteria. That is our job on Tues. mornings.
    But, what I really wanted to say was, I should bequeath the title of matriarch to you because you are more regal and upstanding than I. Or maybe we could reign together!!
    Love you guys,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love to win. I have to win. I have been known to do anything to win. So if I had known there was a contest my motivation in commenting on your blog would have been in question. As it is you know that my writing comes directly from my joy in reading your words and thoughts and living vicariously your experiences. I will continue to comment for the right reasons. Let Eric and Brad do what they must to pass me in the contest. I will continue to savor your words and boost my own spirit by your written faith. I love you Elder and Sister Stauffer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. K, so I have been a very negligent niece. I apologize! Fortunately, you don't have cancer. And since I mostly read blogs about people with cancer, I haven't been on yours as much as I should! I am repenting and putting your blog as a link to my personal blog (different than Steven's).

    ReplyDelete