Thursday, April 26, 2012

Farewells and Homecomings

For eighteen months we have anticipated and longed for a homecoming with family and friends.  However, we have discovered that homecomings and all the joy they entail are impossible without many tearful farewells.  Last Saturday we went to Ashburton for the last piano lessons.

002

Diana, Sala, Me, Mata, and Marina

026

Esmay, Rita, Trabecca, and Sala.

No protestations could keep these dear people from providing an ample meal.  There is a reason I am returning fatter than I have ever been.

032

President Pongia did not make leaving an easy thing as he started his speech, “Once upon a time there was a branch in Asburton with no one to play the piano for church meetings….”  After the sweetest of thank yous, he turned the time over to whoever wanted to speak.  Marina said that it had been her dream since she was a very little girl to be able to play the piano.  Our coming made that dream come true.  Parents and students were all so sweet.  

It was such a small thing helping these innately gifted Samoans to play a few hymns, and yet it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my mission.  You must know how proud I am of their efforts and how much I have come to love these beautiful, loving kids.  I wanted to post three of their final pieces.

Monday night was our final family home evening. 

DSC_0316

Matt Hill gave the lesson.  Emma Robinson and Luke Katene provided the refreshments.  Emma made a delicious cheese cake, and Luke made individual mini banoffee pies …so impressive.  We played a game and visited for a long time.  It will seem dull when John and I have family home evenings by ourselves.  We have become used to great gospel discussions and lots of laughter and entertainment on Monday nights.

Wednesday night we had a farewell dinner with Sister Chelius, Sister Nation, and Elder and Sister Neider.  We have grown to love these senior missionaries, and consider each one of them a sweet blessing for having served a mission. We are so grateful that our relationships will continue when we’re all back home again.

Last night was our final institute lesson.  If I had planned for 18 months, I couldn’t have landed on a better topic for a farewell lesson.  We talked about Doctrine and Covenants Section 18 (the worth of souls) and Section 19 (Christ’s suffering in Gethsemane).  It was a privilege to bear a final testimony to these kids that I love so much about the Savior, his atonement, and the gift of repentance.  We opened it up for testimonies and the tears were free flowing.  Our YSA have deep and abiding testimonies of Christ and his gospel.  I LOVE THESE PEOPLE!!!!

Last week before class, John asked if there were any announcements.  Trevor, who usually tells of upcoming events, was late.  When John noted that there must be nothing coming up, Jonathan raised his hand and said, “Except the big farewell celebration on the 28th at 6:00.”  So much for the surprise.  Tomorrow night we will attend the YSA farewell party.  I have watched them sneak around for weeks and know they want to send us off with a bang.  Oh how we will miss them.  They feel like family to us.

On homecomings…There have been some particularly happy days in my life.  Three of those were the days my sons returned from their missions.  There was something about seeing those boys after two long years, finding how much they had grown and matured, and having them home safe and sound, that pushed those days into the glorious realm.  I also remember that day in 1986 when my parents returned from their mission to Germany.  They were gone only 12 months and I spent time with them in Europe only three months before they came home, but I was still so excited to have my mom and dad back.  I wanted to sit with them in their home, call them every day if I wanted, and know that they were only an hour’s drive from my house.  My kids were excited to see their grandparents who were a huge part of their lives.  I’m so glad that someone brought a camera to the airport that day (it must have been Paul), because looking at those photos brings back the joy of that moment in time.

Children waiting for Grandparents-SLC-1986

I’m sure these strangers were puzzled by the children swarming the gate and blocking their exit.  “There they are!  There they are!”

Vere,%20Winnie%20Johnson-returned%20missionaries-SLC-1986[1]

Andrew was the first one there.

VH Johnson, Jill, Andrew Stauffer-SLC-1986

The kids couldn’t get close enough to their grandparents, and I finally know exactly what my mother was feeling as she viewed some of her newest grandchildren for the first time.

Janice Stauffer, Winnie, Annie Johnson-SLC-1986

Mom’s face in this picture says it all.  It makes me cry just looking at it.

Winnie%20Johnson-SLC-1986[1]

Together at last.  Family as it should be.

VH Johnson Family-homecoming0SLC-1986

Next Tuesday will be a trail of tears.  From the airport in Christchurch to the middle of the Pacific there will be tears of sorrow.  From there to Salt Lake, tears of joy.  I’m preparing for a mammoth headache, red scratchy eyes, and puffy eyelids, but it will be worth every minute of it.  I’m glad I love these people so much it hurts to leave them, and the joy I will feel in seeing my family once again defies description.

5 comments:

  1. No joke - the first thing out of Jenny's mouth this morning was "4 more days, Mom!"

    Our thoughts are with everyone as you give your tearful goodbyes. We can tell that many lives have been blessed.

    I cried as I read this post and imagined the awesome reunion that is going to take place in just a few short days. We are so excited! Now, come home already!

    Love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are counting the minutes and so am I. I think Heavenly Father has helped me not to miss you too much these last 18 months, but now all those feelings are coming freely. I've really missed you!!! I can't wait to see you both! We need you back here!

    I clearly remember the day Grandma and Grandpa got home from their mission. (Ironically, I was the same age that Mary Kate is now) I think Tuesday will even be better than that day. I can't believe how the years have flown by. I have a daughter in 7th grade now, and it's MY parents who are coming home. Hallelujah!

    I do feel bad for all those people in New Zealand though. They will miss you so badly. I know from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to see pictures of your parents. I remember them so well and so fondly. Lucky you that your family is all in one place and you'll see them all when you get there. As for the mission, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful heart tugging, tear jerking post. loved the piano numbers. Did those kids start from scratch? That is incredible progress. Did you learn as much in this year and a half as they did? Probably more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Those pictures of Mom and Dad and the family along with your beautiful comments were very moving. We can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete