Sunday, February 13, 2011

All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience

I realize that Joseph Smith received the revelation containing these words when he was in Liberty Jail, experiencing one of the darkest times of his life.  I have been thinking of them this week in an entirely different light, about how my life’s experiences have prepared me to do what is required on this mission.  I suppose that was God’s plan in the first place.

I have been so glad that I accepted callings—even the ones I felt totally unqualified for.  It was a frightening thing to be the gospel doctrine teacher, but those years of study and preparation gave me a background in the scriptures that is invaluable in teaching seminary and Institute classes.  Sometimes, if I pray and try really hard, I can actually retrieve some of that information from my old brain.  Every calling I have ever had taught me something new and prepared me for future assignments. 

I’ve been grateful for my experiences as a mother—even the ones I totally blew.  As these young adults speak to me of their homes and families (some of them have come from very difficult circumstances), I am a better listener and sometimes I can even offer some counsel and advice.  I feel for them, and I feel for their parents.  My children have been my best instructors in this course called “Life”.

I’m appreciative of parents who encouraged me to develop my talents and get an education.  It seems that I’m using all those education classes, and all the money spent on those degrees did not go to waste after all. I’m grateful for every class I took (well maybe not physics), every bit of research I did, and every paper I ever wrote.  If I didn’t learn something about the subject, I at least learned something about the process of learning.

It was a good thing that I accompanied so many choirs and soaked in the knowledge of so many wonderful choir directors.  From Eugene Tueller at Logan High, to Roger Hale, Margo Wilson, and Clothield Rogers, I have spent many, many hours on a piano bench listening to directors get wonderful things from non-professional choirs.  I can mimic what I have watched them do.

I was smart to take organ lessons and to go with Mary Kate to her piano lessons, so that I could observe Beverly Merrill use the skills she has honed to perfection.  I think about her every week as I teach these beautiful little piano students.  (By the way, the keyboards came from Salt Lake today.  My students in Ashburton are going to have something to practice on.  I feel so blessed to belong to a church like this; I just called the music department, told them what I needed, and I got three keyboards in a week.)  

All of my challenges have taught me how to seek guidance from the Spirit—something that is essential every day on a mission.  The chance to try that process over and over has taught me that it really does work and helped me to recognize the Spirit when it comes. 

I thought that living by Felisi Iosefa for a few years in Bountiful would have helped me prepare to attend the Wainoni Ward this past Sunday.  Surely I would be able to understand something in Samoan.  Nope, not a word.

This week we attended the funeral for President Johnston.  His little Ashburton Branch sang their hearts out, and the Relief Society sisters fed all the four or five hundred people that attended. 

We had the kick-off social for Institute.  University starts again in a week.  We had quite a crowd and I taught my first class—Presidents of the Church.  Margaret asked me to make cinnamon rolls for 60.  Thanks Mom and Grandma for teaching me how to make bread with just my hands for mixing. 

002

Ryan, Abby, Patty, and Rigel

005

Trevor and Brodie

008

There is something so energizing and fun about being with these Young Single Adults. 

I know that people back home love seeing the beautiful sights of New Zealand.  I can’t let them down, so this week I’m posting a picture of what I think is the most beautiful thing in this country…

070

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY JOHNNY!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Great pic of Dad! So if all these things shall give thee experience and be for thy good, and all those things have led to your mission, just think of what all the mission experiences must be preparing you for...

    I wish I was there right now with you both. Reading these each week makes me miss you more and more.

    I love you!

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Eric...the missionary experiences they are having now are preparing them to be the most awesome grandparents ever(and maybe a stay-at-home church calling or two).

    What a great post mom, gave me a lot to think about.

    You Valentine is really handsome!

    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wisdom. Always get something to think about out of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you are being prepared for when there is an opening for commissioner of education. Love the John picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of you for two weeks straight as I sat in the hospital with Maddie. I've thought of your wisdom and your great thoughts that lift so many of us. I've thought of how much those people must love you and how good one of your cinnamon rolls would taste. Have you tried throwing the dough down stairs to get the air bubbles out? Oh the memories of some of those experiences.

    I'm sure we will all be praying together no matter the oceans that divide us for Steven and the Blodgetts. Perhaps your prayers while serving so faithfully will have more strength than the rest of ours.
    You surely found a handsome Valentine.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Kathy about your great wisdom and wonderful pictures with vivid descriptions. You have a wonderful way with words. Love you,

    ReplyDelete