Sunday, May 29, 2011

New Zealand Winter and the Warmth of the Gospel

New Zealand weather is baffling.  We have been prepared for a cold May, but instead we had the most beautiful warm weather.  Sunshine and blue sky as far as the eye could see.  Weather made for walking. I kept asking, “Is it winter yet?”  I was told things would get much colder and that this is a much warmer May than usual.  After this weekend,  I’ve quit asking.  I can feel the difference.  The sun is still shining, the sky is blue, but there is a layer of frost on the ground in the mornings and the windshield of our car has a layer of frost on it when we get up.  Our house is freezing cold when we are forced from our bed, and we come home to a chilled house after work.  The church on Sunday was like an iceberg for the first 45 minutes, and the clothes we put on each morning feel like we just took them out of the refrigerator.  I’m not sure it is any colder here than it is back home, but Americans take their comfort very seriously.  We take pains to remove the jarring effects of extreme weather.  We go from a warm house to a warm car.  From a warm car to a warm church.  From a warm workplace to a warm home.  It is possible here to get a building to a comfortable temperature, but it takes awhile.  In the meantime, you freeze.  You pile on layers of clothing, and shed them as the temperature rises.  Afternoons are rather pleasant, but as soon as the sun goes down (and it goes down early here) it is back to freezing.  

John went to the store this weekend to buy a scraper for the windshield.  He couldn’t find one on the shelves so he asked one of the workers and was told that they don’t make those here.  He told John that in New Zealand, you just pour hot water on the windshield while running the windshield wipers.  I told that story to one of the young adults and her remark was, “Oh no, you just use a credit card to scrape the ice off.” 

A little frost and cold don’t stop the hardy kiwis.  They still bike, wear jandals, and laugh at us when we shiver.

The past week was a difficult one for me.  There were so many lessons to prepare, so many activities to attend, talks to prepare, lessons to give, worries about home, and so little sleep.  I had a one day breakdown of sorts.  I fretted, I cried, and I moped.  When those failed to bring me relief, I had John give me a blessing, I got down on my knees, and I pled for help.  It’s amazing how quickly I found relief.  I was given comfort and assurance.  I was given strength and faith.  I was given peace and joy.  I had to speak Saturday night at a stake Relief Society fireside.  The theme of the fireside was ‘I Believe in Christ’.  It was a blessing to prepare that talk.  As I reviewed my own testimony of the Savior, I realized that my faith in Him is vital and thriving.  He does understand my sorrows and concerns.  He does send help in ways that give maximum relief.  He is always there.  This week I feel wonderful.  I feel happy and healthy.  Ready to put in the required long days.  I feel grateful.  He is my Savior, my Redeemer, my Strength.  Our windshields may be icy and our home chilled, but our lives are truly warmed by the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Matt Ziegler leaves for his mission this week.  He is going to Brisbane, Australia.  He is the first missionary to leave since we arrived.  He is a great young man.

001

Good luck Matt.  We will miss you!

4 comments:

  1. Can you make sure it is warm by the time we get there in January?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet is the peace the gospel brings! But heaters are so nice. Hang in there - your body will adjust just in time for the changing of the season. I remember when we moved to Minneapolis and I thought I would die it was so cold and so hot and humid in the summer. But eventually I adjusted and it was normal. Besides St. George will look sweeter than ever! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post mom. Thanks for your testimony. It strengthens mine. I've had a blessing this week too, and it really did help.

    It is weird to think we're just heating up here while you're freezing there. Very weird.

    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know, it is Memorial Day and we woke up to 6 inches of snow here in Paradise. The branches on our trees were snapping and I wanted to cry. There was snow on the ground yesterday as well but it was all melted by the time we got out of church. I don't know why but I had hope that today would be pleasant. Hope springs eternal even if Spring doesn't. Love your testimony and your adventures. I bet you can guess that I want you to send me a copy of your talk. I always love your talks.

    ReplyDelete