Sunday, May 15, 2011

Where Did That Week Go?

I can hardly believe that it is Monday morning again and time to write another post.  The work tends to be the same each week; prepare lessons, give lessons, prepare talks, give talks, shepherd online students, work with piano students and choir, and host Family Home Evening.  However, each week has its little surprises.

Last Monday night, we waited for the kids to show up for FHE.  At 7:00 I said to John, “Where are they?  Abby is always here by now.”  Kiwis tend to run a little late, but Abby is prompt.  Amy, who was giving the lesson, called to say they had changed it to the institute building because of an activity she planned.  When we got there, we found this…

001

Those darling kids had planned a surprise birthday party for me.  Amy asked me a few weeks ago what food I missed the most.  I told her Mexican.  They made valiant efforts to  cook something Mexican, they decorated the building, and they celebrated with gusto.  It was a wonderful surprise.

002

013

The food was good, the people are great.  I want to introduce a few of them…

026

This is Michael Lafaele.  He is one of the most sincere, faithful, and kind young men I have ever met.  He returned from a Japanese mission just one week before the huge earthquake there.  He is taking piano lessons from me and doing amazingly well. 

049

Sina Posala, a university student from Samoa studying engineering, and Ellen Chan, our choir director.  Ellen is also a university student studying music.

011

Hayley Lee has recently moved down from the north island and is studying to be a pharmacy tech.  Gabriel Fa—well, he’s just Gabe—delightful.

018

Nikita Peters, first year university student studying something in science, and Lurita Kurene who is studying to be a nurse.  Lurita’s father is the bishop of the Avonside ward.  They are still making a daily trek down the street to a communal shower in the back of a truck.  They are living in such difficult circumstances and enduring it with perfect grace.

056

Wiki Kurene, another daughter in the amazing Kurene family.

045

Amy Bourne, the party planner, with a piece of the colorful cake she made.

033

They all made me feel so loved and I love them right back. 

We took a few hours one afternoon to visit Willowbank with the Bournes.

001 (2) 

Willowbank is a wildlife reserve and I was anxious to see a real, live Kiwi.  The Kiwis are kept in a nocturnal house where their schedules are reversed by turning lights on at night and keeping the house dark during the daytime.  The birds are awake when visitors come through.  It took a while for my eyes to adjust, but I did find one.  We couldn’t take any pictures in the nocturnal house, but John did take pictures of some of the other New Zealand wildlife.

011 (2)

This eel came right out of the water as Amy offered a spoonful of eel food.  We were careful to keep our fingers out of the way.  They bite! 

There were many strange looking birds.

026 (2)

029

This is a pukeko bird.  You see these all over New Zealand.

054

One of the workers brought this wallaby over so that we could pet him.

052

Very soft.  I wouldn’t mind one of these for a pet.

059

038

167

033 (2)

We attended our first netball game this week.  We went to see Brodie Ridler play.  I haven’t figured out the rules of the game, but I know that you cannot dribble, once you catch the ball you can not run, and the shooters have all the time in the world to set a shot with no one trying to steal the ball or block their shots.  It is usually a female sport and all the players wear little short skirts.  Although Saturday was sunny and beautiful, this is a winter sport, and they play in rain, sleet, and hail.  They never call off a game.  The courts at Hagley Park are always packed.

065

Brodie is the furthest to the right.

074

Funny hoops with no backboards.  Only two people from each team are allowed to shoot. 

My trip to Ashburton this week was especially pleasant.  Last week I taught some of the kids about chording and turned them loose on a couple of simplified hymns.  I could hardly contain myself when I heard them play this week.  Three of them will soon be ready to play in sacrament meeting.  They were just as delighted as I was.  I watch their faces as I explain, and I can see the lights going on in their heads.  I love it.

I missed my Uncle Hap’s funeral this week.  Jill gave me a full, detailed report on all of the talks, but I missed being with the Holmsteads and Johnsons.  We were one big family growing up with an extra set of parents to discipline us and to love us.  Uncle Hap called me “a rum-dumb kid”, but I always knew he loved me.  He was a great man and I will miss him.

When Andrew was on his mission, he sent us a picture with the caption, “buzz-recovery”.  You can guess what his hair looked like.  We laughed at that and have since quoted him whenever we have seen a bad haircut.  This week I sent John to the barber for a haircut.  I have cut his hair for years, but our clippers don’t work in New Zealand, John’s hair was extra long, and I did not have any extra time this weekend.  The result—BUZZ-RECOVERY!!

084

Today is Eric’s birthday in New Zealand.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC!!!  We love you so much and hope there are people in your life that make your day very special.     

7 comments:

  1. Hi you wonderful missionaries. Maybe someday we will get our call. It has been 4 weeks today. Brent thinks we have been rejected. Dad's funeral was terrific. We girls voted to have the 2 boys talk since they weren't there to defend themselves! They did a wonderful job and so did
    Paul, as usual. John's hair looks like Justin's when he was in Zimbabwe. They weren't allowed to go to the barbers so the mission president said they could all buzz each other. Some months it was a little shorter than others but at least they had fun. I will send a picture to your email from the funeral. We missed you but were glad that Dad chose to go before we left on a mission. Mom is doing okay. She appreciated that you called her and told everyone!!!! She put flowers on your Mom's grave today maybe she told you that. love you both~ keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you at the funeral. It was nice to see everyone and have some Holmsteads and Johnsons together again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, when I saw that sign saying "Welcome to Mexico" I wondered if dad would go in? I know how he feels about Mexico and machetes. Although, with that hair cut he now looks pretty tough and would most likely scare away anything threatening. Major buzz recovery dude! Now you can be twin with the boys and Mike, Dad. I buzzed them last week.

    I'm so glad they treated you right on your birthday mom. They did a better job than we usually do. Very nice. What great kids.

    Fun animal pictures. The kids will like those.

    Really missed you this week. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello you two! I love visiting New Zealand through your camera lens. But hearing your experiences is even better. You get to have the first dibs at birthday wishes being ahead of us all the time! Eric and Julie will be celebrating tomorrow my time! Love to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hardly recognized John. I thought you had added a picture of Matt Louer. I missed you at the funeral. The talks were wonderful and full of memories. Nineteenth warders would come up to me at the viewing and ask where you were. You had a good excuse for your absence. It was great to see Jill and Eric. Do you remember how scared you were when you ran the car into uncle Hap's car port? You might have been a "rum-dumb"kid that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the buzz recovery look. Make it permanent. We missed you at the funeral and were a bit disappointed that you didn't "sneak" home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Janice -- even though it is late! John, the buzz cut is great -- Glade will be jealous. He has threatened a bunch of times to get a buzz cut, as he had in the first years of our marriage. That wallaby is cute, but don't they grow up? Love your posts and pictures. And -- love to you both! (posted by Karen)

    ReplyDelete