Sunday, January 22, 2012

Trivialities and Life’s Most Solemn Moments

If I am figuring correctly, we have 100 days left on our mission (but who’s counting).  There is only one thing to do about that.  Family tradition dictates…

Head of Fire

Neither of us was as brave (or as demented) as Andrew.  Photoshop was the best we could do.  If any of you want to hear the hilarious story, you’ll have to get Andrew talking about his burning head. 

100 days makes me believe it might happen.  I might get to hold those babies ( I sat by a baby last night in the stake meeting where the wards in Christchurch were reorganized.  He was the same age as Catie….oh so cute!).  I might get to have sleepovers with my grandkids and visit with my children.  I might get to have fun with my friends and extended family.  This nearness has created a bit of a trunky hypochondriac.  Every headache could be the beginnings of a stroke.  Every illness something deadly.  I worry that something might keep me from seeing my family again.  Silly, but it’s just how I am.

This week we spent three days traveling.  This trip was more relaxed than those we have taken previously.  We were delivering supplies to seminary and institute teachers and doing some inservice training.  There were no classes to attend early in the mornings or in the evenings.  Here’s a little recap in pictures:

032

Lawn bowling behind out motel in Oamaru. 

029

John’s new friends (a little different from our usual companions, the young single adults) convinced him that he should introduce the sport in Utah.

063

Dunedin train station.

103

Wouldn’t this be the perfect movie set?  Can’t you just see soldiers kissing their sweethearts as they leave to fight?  Or, how about an action film or an espionage thriller?

121

This old Anglican church is in Port Chalmers about 10 km out of Dunedin.  It was open to the public that afternoon.  We loved the building and the artifacts it held, but my favorite part was this old pipe organ.

145

Doug has been playing it for the past 60 years…

148

but he was willing to scoot over and let me have a go at it.

176

Next time I’ll take my glasses so that I can see the music.

204

We stopped to walk along the beach and look for shells.  The hunt was rather successful.

245

257

Paua shells like these sell for about $20.00 in the stores.

015 

We stopped at Fleur’s Place for a delicious meal of fresh seafood and other delights.

224

Seafood Chowder

223

Broccoli and bleu cheese soup and fresh catch of the day, blue cod with tartar and lemon sauce.  There are advantages to living near the ocean.

228

221

I would love to take this place home with me.  Maybe John can just sail it into the port at Great Salt Lake.

005

It all seemed so trivial as we came home to an email from my niece, Alisa, saying that her cancer had returned with a vengeance. I have been thinking about the phrase “bear one another’s burdens, that they might be light” (Mosiah 18:8).  So many people, myself included, would love to take some of the pain or sorrow, the heartache or fear from the hearts and minds of Alisa, her husband, her children, or her parents.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could parcel out the hurt so that no one felt it in abundance.  But, it seems there are some things no one can remove from our shoulders.  Thank goodness for faith and hope in Jesus Christ, for his eternal gifts, and the strength he gives us to bear all things.  We are praying for you, Alisa.  You will continually be in our thoughts and in our hearts.  Kia Kaha!!! (Stay strong!)

4 comments:

  1. 100 days!?! That's what I'm talking about! Great photo, John. So calm with your head aflame.

    We have been doing lots of praying for Alisa here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh come on! You guys are chickens! Just wrap your head in a wet bandanna or stocking cap and your good to go!

    100 days, I'm so excited about that! It's good to see that you're living it up in New Zealand while you still can.

    We are all praying for Alisa too, and her family.

    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pics as usual, and yes, I did pay $$ for some NZ shells. of course they came in a little cute box. can't type, had my hand fixed, now my pinky is straight, but of course the Dr. waNTS ME TO bend it, hurts like heck so I am sure that I can say the town B D..! This learning Russian is very hard for this old brain. had sad day Sat. cleaned out the house, thanks to mom there wasn't much to do or have. turned out okay. love u and Happy Mission! We are suppose to celebrate our (mine & Janice's ) BIRTHDAYS IN RUSSIA! too bad you can't make it Janice. hope our visas come through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 days will fly by faster than you can even know. I can't wait to see you. You both look great--even with your hair on fire!

    ReplyDelete