Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Work

My father loved to work.  He was not one of those who worked hard to earn money so that he could play.  He loved the work itself.  He was never happier than when he had a very early morning, a work project, and a crew to do his bidding.  My siblings and I have been part of those crews.  He would whistle, instruct, joke, and find himself very funny as we worked together.  It was all about productivity and a sense of accomplishment.  I believe we all enjoy work almost as much as he did.  Work is not only productive, but it is a good remedy for so many ills.  It eliminates boredom, squeezes out worry, and lessens homesickness.  I read a book recently, ‘The Rise of Silas Lapham’, by William Dean Howells. (I had never heard of this book but found it on a couple of classic book lists and it was free for my kindle.)  It was a rags-to-riches and back-to-rags story.  Silas Lapham made a great fortune in the paint business.  When troubles and heartache hit his family, Silas’s wife was beside herself.  She longed for something to take her mind off her worries.  The author wrote:

“But it is the curse of prosperity that it takes work away from us, and shuts that door to hope and health of spirit.  In this home, where everything had come to be done for her, she had no tasks to interpose between her and her despair.”

These last two weeks have been long and boring; there has been a limited amount of work.  The holidays have interrupted summer institute and the kids have scattered.  Because Christmas and New Years were on weekends this year, the Mondays and Tuesdays following have been public holidays.  That means many businesses are closed and there is a 15% surcharge on all food purchased from restaurants or fast food establishments.  I’m looking forward to the end of holidays so we can get back to work.  I, like my father, am much happier when there is work to be done.

We did spend one day last week with the Neiders.  We met them at the “big fish” in Rakaia, and then went on narrow and gravely roads in search of Lake Coleridge. 

The Big Fish in Rakaia park

NZ sheep and sheep dog

We loved watching this sheep dog do his work.

034

“Bah, ram, ewe…to your own self be true.”  (I love that movie ‘Babe’.)

Lake Coleridge

We found the lake.  There was absolutely no shore, just beautiful blue water.

Lake Coleridge 2

We stopped in Methven for lunch.  There were two places to choose from…

The Blue Pub in Methven

the Blue Pub, or…

The Brown Pub Methven

the Brown Pub.  We chose the brown.  Nummy nachos and potato wedges—very healthy fare.  Then on to Dunsandel and one of my favorite spots, the Dunsandel Store, for dessert. 

with Neiders at Dunsandel store

If Bountiful had a little place like this, I’d meet my friends there every day for lunch.  The food is great and the atmosphere is cozy and inviting.  A great place to sit and read as you can see.

Looking forward to next week and more work.  Hope your week is filled with love and something to accomplish.

6 comments:

  1. Went back to work today...felt great. Even when work can be a bummer, it is better to have the structure and organization than without.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that way about work to. Relaxation is nice, but I feel my best when I'm working.

    Maybe when you and Dad get back to Bountiful, you could open a little eatery like the one you spoke of. That would give you lots of work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the day working. . . trying to clean up the house after the Christmas rush and I feel happy tonight. I especially love to work when I get back from a stay in the hospital with the children. Even simple tasks like dishes seem to have a heavenly glow. It is just so wonderful to do something productive. You always were a great worker. Tasks had no chance of remaining undone when you started on them. You worked faster and harder and better and your finished product always outshone mine but just the act of working is great. I know dad loved to work and see us working but one thing I remember about mom is that she greatly admired anyone who could work hard. I often heard her praise someone by saying, 'Now she (or he) is a great worker.' or 'She surely knows how to work!' I grew up thinking that to be a worker was a great thing - something to strive for. She also would tell me to relax and not worry about doing something if she could tell I was tired. I don't think she was as driven as you to finish something. She could relax if she was tired. But even in a relaxing attitude she was usually working on a cross-word or something.
    I have a lot of work in my path right now. You have helped me look at it with a happier attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured Dad's attitude about work well. He worked so hard one of his friend's was overheard to say about him, "He never sleeps".

    The lake looked beautiful and we would have loved having lunch with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had contemplated coming to NZ the first of January, we even told our kids we might do it, but... I guess now our job is to learn Russian and get things organized and ready to go.
    Our parents and grandparents really did like to work, especially Gma Amacher and Friede Weidman.
    They never sat without doing something with their hands. I do something with my hands too, hold a book! My Dad taught me that and I am thankful for that example too. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad did love to work. I'm not sure I inherited it. I was however pretty dang good at planning P day trips, next time things are slow I can help.

    ReplyDelete