Tuesday, March 8, 2011

After Shock

The institute building has found new purpose.  LDS Social Services has sent three counselors from the north island to help people traumatized by the earthquake.  They offered to come after the quake last September, but no one felt they needed help.  Today, they were busy all day long.  They will be here three or four days a week for the next six weeks and I don’t think they’ll be wanting for work.  Old people, young people, and couples are all needing to talk to someone.  We have noticed that our young adults are wanting to gather more often.  Our house was packed for family home evening on Monday night, and on Thursday nights they come early and stay late for institute classes. 

Engineers also came to inspect the chapels.  They found that the damage is minimal and that after a few minor repairs, we’ll be back in business.  Church meetings will resume on March 20.  Until then, the bishops and stake president have given permission for families and groups of families to gather for sacrament services.  Last week we held a Young Adult fast and testimony meeting at the institute building.  It was one of the best meetings I’ve ever been to.  We will have our own sacrament meeting this week as well.  Our numbers are still down for some of these activities.  We have seen very few of the young adults from the Avonside and Opawa wards.  Their families have been hit the hardest and I know that many have left Christchurch for a time.  Riccarton ward (our ward) is growing as displaced families move further west. 

We are losing some of our wonderful young adults.  Tui Hawaikirangi moved to Australia to be with her family.  Stephen Henderson is going to Auckland for work.  Patricia is going to Bordeau, France to finish her masters in neuro-science.  Not one of them asked us for permission.  We will miss them very much.

Stephen Henderson and Matt Ziegler brought lasagna to our flat for dinner last night.  They said that we had to have a facebook page and set us up with one so that we could keep track of the young adults.  I’ve never learned to appreciate this social networking thing, but we’ll see how it goes.

Saturdays are turning into our busiest days.  Last week I taught a piano lesson in Christchurch, had sewing lessons for two of the young adults, and then went to Ashburton where twenty-one students showed up for piano lessons.  At some point I’m going to have to turn people away and I hate to do that.  I think I’ll just keep going until they get to the more difficult lessons and they’ll weed themselves out.  The ones who are not serious will start giving up.  I’ll hang on with a tight grip to the ones that are gifted and find some way for them to continue when our mission is over.

001

Shrina, Malina, and Tau

003

Front row: Marina, Rita, and Lote.  Second row: Jacob and Francine.  Back: Shirley.

009 

Matthew concentrates as (from left to right) Mata, Trubecca, Star (behind) and Diana watch and giggle—he’s a very funny boy. 

006

This little Courtney reminds me of my red-headed grandkids at home.

I forgot to take pictures of the other six.  I’m thinking that Beverly Merrill should come over here on a music mission.  She could live with us and teach all these piano students one at a time.  I’d really love to turn the gifted ones over to her.  How do you feel about earthquakes, Beverly?

The aftershocks keep on coming.  We had one last night and one this morning that were well over 4 point tremors—pretty good shakers.   We also have many that are more mild.  Everyone is on pins and needles because some meteorologist has predicted a huge earthquake on March 20.  He says that the moon will be closer to the earth than normal on that day.  That will increase the gravitational pull and set off a big earthquake made possible by all these smaller earthquakes dislodging and disturbing the faults. (I explained that just as a physicist would—or would that be a geologist?)  I think it’s bunk, but I do have a good supply of drinking water just in case.  We are still boiling water, so we avoid dirtying dishes in very creative ways.  Paper plates and cups are way too expensive down here, so we eat out of pans or containers, we share a plate, or we eat on napkins.  Can we say, L-A-Z-Y.     

8 comments:

  1. Not l-a-z-y! Try g-e-n-i-u-s.

    I always thought that there were only a couple of aftershocks after a big earthquake. I never imagined they would keep going for this long!

    I'm sure there is so much comfort for the students to meet together - especially if there's great people like Elder and Sister Stauffer there to help comfort and cheer them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are hardly lazy! You always have so much work going on. I would indeed agree that Beverly needs to make a trip to New Zealand to teach piano. There are lots of interested kids!

    Now I'm a little worried about March 20th. I think it's bunk too, but I'm staying by the phone on March 20th.

    Mom, I think you'll like Facebook if it keeps you in contact with some of these people. You'll be grateful for it.

    Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been fun to imagine Aunt Janice roughing it-the loos in the back yard, boiling your water, eating out of pots and pans. Honestly, I wouldn't have expected you to handle all of this so well. Uncle John, we're not surprised, he's a tough guy. But Greg and I are very impressed by your roughing it skills, Aunt Janice!
    You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice to read what is happening with you. Mom and Dad like to hear about your adventures. Dad perks up when we talk about people he remembers.
    Your kids should send you care packages of paper plates and such

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of a funeral do you want after the big one on March 20? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you explained the meteorologist's info very well, but if you want I can ask David (my physicist) or Kevin (my geologist) about it. I'm sure they could explain it to you in 10,000 words or less (if you're like me, I could understand about 100 of them--words like "the" "earth", etc.) I think I'd rather accept your explanation. Glad you're doing all right. I'm with Alison--I don't see you as a "camping" sort of person. :) Love you, and we're praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops! I forgot about Kris (my other physicist). Now she could probably explain it in a way you could understand. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe if I had you Janice as a piano teacher, I might excel in my advanced age. As you know, I was the only one that was made to quit piano from Sister Southwick. And only because I couldn't hear the beat or remember to sharp and flat. That is also why I didn't make the marching drill team at Logan HIgh! I can still hear Leah saying sharp it, flat it Terri! Maybe if we go to Africa I could learn to play the drums.

    ReplyDelete