Sunday, March 20, 2011

We’re Still Here

Before…

014

Cashmere chapel March 20, before the projected major quake, the one that sent people scurrying from Christchurch.  Yesterday was the first Sunday back since the February 22 earthquake.  A combined sacrament meeting with the Riccarton and Cashmere wards was set for 10:30 a.m..  We were told that some general authorities would be attending.  Although some families elected to stay home, there was a fairly good attendance.  The Young Adults were there in droves. 

After…

015

Cashmere Chapel March 20, still standing after the projected major earthquake.  We did have a tiny tremor when Elder Hamula was winding up with his testimony.  Other than that, it seemed like a regular Sunday to me.  I’m happy to report there is nothing to report.  Just before ten last night, we did have a 5.1 aftershock.  I suppose the “moonman” can claim that if he wants to, but I think he’ll be a little more quiet about his predictions in the future.

Friday, after only four days back at school and university, the Prime Minister called a national holiday for everyone in Christchurch.  Students had another day off as did all workers.  There was not a store open in the whole city.  A memorial in Hagley Park was attended by Prince William and dignitaries from New Zealand and Australia.  I was pleased that representatives from many religions were given a chance to offer prayers.  Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Bahai, and Hindu faiths were all represented, with other remarks given by the leaders of the Anglican and Catholic Churches in Christchurch.  There had been some protest that God was even going to be a part of the service.  I was so glad to see that He was the central focus.  (We did not attend the service, but watched it on TV.  We decided to avoid the crowd.)

The results of last week’s vocabulary test are sadly muddled.  I’m not sure that I will be able to give the prize I promised.  Three people tied for first with 9 answers each.  Jill got 9 right, but she had help from Mike.  Kathy got 9 right, but she did spend some time in Australia and had Australian houseguests.  Carolyn got 9 also, but she had a son serve a mission in New Zealand and visited here herself.  Do you see my dilemma?  Perhaps a little later on, when I’ve picked up more kiwi words, we’ll have a playoff.  Does that seem fair?

Although my blogs are sometimes boring, each week gets better for us.  Our love for these young people grows and deepens and becomes such a treasure in our lives.  They give us so much of themselves, and we hope what we have to give them—love, testimony, and faith—is enough.  We hope the Lord is happy with our efforts and we are so grateful for His love and direction.

4 comments:

  1. After the Moon Man's predictions I was expecting to see the Church in a pile of rubble. I can't believe he was wrong!

    Anyway, so glad everyone is still safe and I hope it stays that way. We miss you and love you both.

    p.s. I think Mike and I should win since we had no help from other's who have spent time in New Zealand or Australia. What's the prize anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are still with us. We anxiously look forward to each one of your posts. What was the reward for winning the vocabulary contest. If it is something nice, I think I got 24.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice and John,
    Reading your blog Monday morning makes my week go so much better. Brings back many memories because NZ is much like Australia in so many ways. Holidays are really for every one.
    Glad the "moon man" was wrong and hope he continues to be.
    As an innocent bystander in the vocab contest, maybe Brad should get the prize, he actually used the words in a sentence (sort of).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give it to Brad. He's been kind of a cheater for years. I watched the coverage of Prince William in Christchurch and studied the crowd looking for you. Glad you are safe. If you hadn't lived through the big one you would be telling us all about the 5.1 earthquake you felt on sunday. Since your earthquake adventure, aunt Leah has been giving me preparedness tips. My favorite one has been to periodically clean and disinfect the big trash containers that the city provides incase we need to use them for shelter and a place to live sometime. You might want to take that one to heart. She also suggested that a tall tree can make a good shelter. I remembered how we used to climb up into her big pine trees and stay for hours.

    ReplyDelete