Monday, March 14, 2011

Interpretation of Tongues

I thought I’d start this week’s post with a little vocabulary test.  This will be a contest, and there will be a prize for the winner.  I will have to rely on your honor and integrity, for there are many ways to cheat.  See how many of the following words you can define.  Children and adults are welcome to take this test, however, you will be disqualified if you are from New Zealand or Australia, if you have served a mission in New Zealand or Australia, or if you have spent much time in either of those countries.  You may tell me your score in your comments.  Grab a pencil.  The answers will follow at the end of this post. 

1.  jandels

2.  capsicum

3.  courgette

4.  rumble lines

5.  bikkie

6.  gutted

7.  paddock

8.  papers

9.  trolley

10. lollies

11. ute (hint: this is not those people in red who hate the Lord’s people in blue)

12. wop-wops

13. meat and three

14. tramping

15. nappy

16. polyprops

17. jersey

18. tomato sauce

19. hokey pokey

20. flash

21. heaps

22. learnt

23. haich

24. hangi

25. mum

Before I post the answers so that you can give yourself a score, here’s what’s happening this week:

I mentioned last week that meetings will resume in the two remaining chapels on Sunday, March 20.  That will prove to be an interesting day in Christchurch for several reasons.  First of all, it will be interesting to see who is still left after a month of quakes, aftershocks, broken houses, and fleeing population.  I talked to one of our young adults from the Opawa ward who said he thinks only about five or six priesthood leaders are left over there.  The rest have fled the city and probably are not returning.  Opawa, Avonside, and Wainoni wards are in the eastern, or hardest hit, section of town.  Riccarton (our ward), has probably increased in numbers because people have moved into undamaged buildings over here.  We have heard all kinds of rumors about what will be taking place this Sunday.  Some say we will be meeting in combination with other wards because a general authority is coming.  Nothing is certain.

Ken Ring, aka “moonman” (I mentioned him last week) is causing quite the disturbance with his theories.  A little more about him—he is an Aucklander who claims to have predicted the last earthquake by studying the moon, its phases, its nearness to the earth, the position of other planets, and other solar signals.  He has warned of a major earthquake (bigger than the others) to take place on March 20, give or take a day or two.  He has received much negative press as scientists and broadcasters accuse him of being a fear-monger.  He has not backed down on his theories, but has said he will give no further interviews until after the 20th.  In defiance, geologists, earthquake engineers, a member of parliament, and a broadcaster have planned a “Non-Event Lunch”.  On March 20th, they are gathering on Port Hills in the oldest rock building they can find.

This debate is not restricted to scientists.  Members of the Church have also taken sides and are thrashing it out on facebook and where ever there are enough people to discuss.  Many will definitely not be attending meetings on Sunday.  They say it is not worth the risk.  They will be staying home and keeping family members close around them.  The others say that the “moonman” is crazy, and, even if he’s right, they will be in church—what better place to die. 

It’s all very interesting to me.  I understand fright.  I understand faith.  The pictures from Japan this week are horrifying.  If it is our time to go, there is not much we can do about it.  I watched the footage of the man trying to outrun that massive tsunami wave traveling at 500 miles per hour, and sensed our insignificance and powerlessness against the forces of nature.  I’m so glad I know what’s on the other side of this life, and I feel such sorrow for all those whose lives have been changed so quickly.  By the way, John and I will be in church on Sunday.

Martin Bourne was called to be the Branch President in Timaru.  Timaru is a 2-21/2 hour drive from here and he’s not moving!  He will drive that far every week and spend the weekends there.  It will be a tremendous sacrifice, but this faithful man does what he is asked to do.  That means he will no longer be the advisor to the YSA, and his call brings big changes for us.  Change is definitely something you get used to in this church. 

University started up again yesterday.  The institute building is filling up with people.  The counselors are still here from the north island.  Students come over to study and visit.  The missionaries come on their p-day to relax and eat lunch.  If I want to get any work done, I have to stay home.  When there are people around, I just want to visit with them.

A side-note:  Stephen Henderson did not go to Auckland as planned.  The day before he was to leave, as Stephen was out walking, a huge Mastiff-Pit Bull ran directly at him.  His little Jack Russell Terrier threw himself between Stephen and the attacking dog, possibly saving his life.  The big dog ran off with the Jack Russell in his teeth.  Police found the severely wounded animal, called Stephen, and the dog is now recovering from surgery.  Stephen wouldn’t leave him.  I tell this story because I know my brother will like it.  I hope you read this, Rand.  Brad, call him and tell him to.

Brad’s comment on my blog last week was so thoughtful (lol—another vocabulary thing I learned—not “lots of love”, rather “laugh out loud”).  He wanted to know what kind of funeral I wanted after March 20th.  I’m not too worried about dying, but if I did, I wouldn’t be concerned about funeral arrangements.  I would only hope that all of my family and friends at home and in New Zealand know how much I love them and how much I love my Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ, and His gospel.  My life is full of blessings and I am profoundly grateful.

Answers to the vocabulary test.  Remember, cheaters NEVER prosper.

1.  jandels: flip-flops

2.  capsicum: green, red, or yellow peppers

3.  courgette: zucchini

4.  rumble lines:  bumpy lines on the side of the road that warn with a rumble when you leave your lane of traffic.

5.  bikkie: cookie

6.  gutted: broken-hearted, terribly let down.

7.  paddock: pasture

8.  papers: university courses as in 100 level or 200 level papers

9.  trolley: a shopping cart

10. lollies: candy

11. ute: pickup truck

12. wop-wops: boondocks, you know, “Down in the wop-wops—people put me down, cause that’s the side of town I was born in”.

13. meat and three: meat and three veggies—like our meat and potatoes

14. tramping: hiking

15. nappy: diaper

16. polyprops: thermal underwear or umerwear to Jonathan and Jeffrey

17. jersey: sweater

18. tomato sauce: ketchup

19. hokey pokey: honeycomb candy

20. flash: fancy or expensive as in, “he drove a flash ute”.

21. heaps: bunches or lots

22. learnt: totally acceptable spelling for “learned” as in, “I learnt heaps!”

23. haich: pronunciation for the letter “h”

24. hangi: maori meal cooked on ashes and coals in a pit in the ground

25. mum: mom

Have a good week.  Love, Mum

8 comments:

  1. I had to see through my tears after reading the Jack Russel story to check my quiz answers. (Uncle Rand would like that story). And props to Stephen Henderson for staying with his ailing dog.

    As for the quiz...between Mike and I we got 9 right (without cheating of course). We got jangels, paddock, trolley, lollies, nappy, jersey, tomato sauce, learnt, and mum. Pretty good for us Yankees! I like all the words and I've decided to include them in my vocabulary from here on out. I just wish I could say them with the proper New Zealand accent.

    I'm so hoping the 'moon man' is dead wrong, but I have a bit of a pit in my stomach. Please be as safe as you can, because if anything happened to you both we would be devastated, gospel or no gospel! We would miss you something fierce.

    Let us know how things go on the 20th. I'm impressed with how calm you and dad have been through all of this. I'm glad you're there to help.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going tramping in my jandels by the wop wop. I'm ready for New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could be there I would come to Church with you this weekend. I only got 5 on the quiz. Go eat some vegemite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 7 right on - Meat & three, tramping, nappy, tomato sauce, heaps, learnt & mum. I'll leave it up to the judges to decide if I get rumble lines - I said road lines and for lollies I said suckers. Thanks for the quiz. I learnt heaps, although I must not be a very good mum, because we only had meat and one for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got 4-not too great. That quiz was a lot more fun than the Reader's Digest ones!
    All the earthquakes in the news have got me looking into the likelihood of earthquakes on the wasatch front. The next one you go through will probably be back in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got 9 - paddock, trolley, lollies, meat and three (one of the veggies is usually pumpkin), nappy, (I recognize that word in any language), tomato sauce, heaps, learnt (guessed on that one) and mum (that's what Sam from England has called me for years). I thought I did poorly but so far I got more than the others. I have visited Australia so I should have done better.
    Perhaps the 'big one' on the 20th will be the quake they are predicting for us. They say with the Japan quake the only pacific rim area not yet hit is the west coast of the US. I think I'll go to church anyway as well. I thought the 'moonman' would just say his prediction was a little early and take credit for the quake in Japan.
    Seeing the devastating images of that quake has made me ponder the question asked in Revelation, 'who shall be able to stand'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said "we were a common people separated by a common language" - meaning the Brits and the Yankees. Sadly I missed 6 of your quiz, been gone to long. How were the "fish and chips"? Seeing that brought back heaps of memories.
    We hear of wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes in divers places, but I prefer to think of the "tender mercies of the Lord" if we do what we can to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Posted by Barbara not Greg - he is still asleep.

    ReplyDelete