Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter in the Fall?

There’s something that just doesn’t feel right about that.  I’m used to daffodils, tulips, and blossoming trees.  Instead we have…

DSC_0006

Beautiful, but not spring with all its promises of new life.  Fall is not a suitable backdrop for the story of the resurrection, but it will have to do for a couple of years. 

Easter weekend has been interesting in New Zealand.  Good Friday is a national holiday, and by law all businesses are closed with the exception of necessary services.  Necessary services are gas stations, eateries, pharmacies, and video stores.  That’s right, video stores are necessities.  Many businesses are angry at the law and stay open in defiance of it.  They pay the fines and figure they make a little profit.  Our New Zealand friends think it strange that we do not celebrate ‘Good Friday’.  They think we are lacking something in our religious observance.  Stores were open on Saturday, and on Easter Sunday Riccarton Mall was packed.  To me that seems a little backwards, but what do I know?  Monday, today, is also a holiday.  It is Easter Monday (another public holiday) which also happens to fall on ANZAC day this year.  ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.  It is similar to our Veterans Day.  I believe that the stores are only open for half a day today.  The university is out this week so things are a little slower for us. 

Last week, we had our day in the sun with the film crew sent from Salt Lake and Auckland.  They were very nice men and seemed to know what they were doing. 

DSC_0401

DSC_0392

John and I will not be moving to Hollywood after this mission.  We are not great in front of the camera.  John rambles and I stammer.  The producer, Quinn, said that our speech patterns will be easy to edit; at least we have a beginning and an end to our sentences.  I will also be grading Rick, the one who does all of the editing (blue shirt), on how young and thin he makes me look.  I wish them lots of luck.

Friday night David Campbell baptized his girlfriend Sarah Newton.  Sarah has been coming to institute class and has been wanting to be baptized for about a year and a half.  Her father would not let her join the church until she turned 18.  It was a happy night for so many people. 

003

Sarah is a very nice girl and will be a great addition to the Opawa ward.

We are sharing the institute building for a couple of months with Brother and Sister Malupo. 

005

Brother Malupo has been a counselor with LDS Social Services.  They were in the process of moving from Hawaii to Arizona when they were asked to come and help New Zealanders recover from the earthquakes.  They are lovely people, and I wish we could be their friends but that will be impossible.  You see, when they first arrived, I went out to meet them in the foyer of the institute building.  I laughed, and smiled, and pranced around in front of them.  When I went back into our office, John pointed out that my skirt and slip were tucked up in my pantyhose and that my rear end was very exposed.  There is nothing else to be done, I must avoid them.

Brother Bell drove us over to Sumner one afternoon this week.  Sumner and Lyttleton are where the bulk of the quakes are happening.  John says that the island is trying to shake off that little wart that you see sticking out near Christchurch.  We were amazed at the changes since we were there last.  The beautiful rock on the beach that we photographed our first week here…Beach at Sumner

now looks like this…

DSCN2301

DSCN2297

Some other scenes of destruction…

DSCN2313

DSCN2323

So many beautiful old churches are in ruins.  So sad.

We still have aftershocks all of the time, but we don’t even notice them anymore unless they are over 4.0.  With winter coming on, we are hoping that there are no more big ones.  People are already living in less than ideal circumstances.  Cold weather would make things even more difficult. 

Speaking of cold…we have discovered why everything shuts down so early around here.  New Zealanders spend their evenings in bed.  Bed is the only warm place, and it is warm because of these…

004

Electric blankets go on top of the mattress and under the sheet.  We turn ours on two hours before going to bed, and when you get in, it is snuggly and warm.  It is the best feeling.  The worst feeling is leaving that warm bed in the morning to turn the heater on.  I let John do that.  There is no central heating, no way to maintain a steady temperature.  Heaters can heat a room or part of a room rather quickly.  I’m grateful for their placement all over home and the institute building.

DSCN2237

So, as all back home head into spring and summer, we are pulling out our winter clothes and figuring out how to stay warm.   

9 comments:

  1. There is only one thing to do when something embarrassing like that happens...embrace it completely. Make it seem as though it was done deliberately. I suggest that once or twice a week you tuck your dress into the pantyhose and behave as though nothing is out of the ordinary. Make them feel silly for not having caught on to the popular trend sooner.

    It works for me. Without fail, after work, you can find me wearing my mullet outfit- Golf shirt (Business) and Basketball shorts (Casual). And to top it off, my newest addition to the precedence- business black socks with flip flops. The patrons of Macey's no longer turn their head- it's simply expected.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, but the highlight was certainly the story of your skirt stuck up in your pantyhose! Everyone's worst nightmare came true for you Mom! Very funny.

    Mike gave me an electric blanket for Valentine's Day and I love it. It's the best way to get warm at night. But yes, harder to get out of bed in the morning.

    Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that Quinn Orr? If so, I worked with him on some projects years ago. What am I going to do when you are even more famous than you are now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand your confusion only in reverse about Easter holidays, electric blankets, wedding receptions and houses not having central air. There are reasons why Australia (and NZ) is called "down under" - everything seems to be backward.

    As for the weather - now you know why the place is so sparsely populated compared to the US i.e. with the exception of the sheep.

    Love to start my week off by reading your post.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had my good belly laugh for the day! Reminds me of a time in Zurich at a fancy restaurant. Marianne was laughing her head off & I couldn't figure out why. I had walked through the buffet line with pink toilet paper trailing behind me. She didn't tell me until I sat down. Ticked me off!

    They do sell the mattress warmers in Costco. We have had one for a few years and they are priceless. Tell your kids to buy you one for Christmas so when you get home you will be toasty!.

    Do you think Eric could come and walk around with Brent once in awhile. They would make a grand fashion statement together.

    I told everyone that you will be in a movie and be famous. Our friends in Samoa were asked to do it also.

    Have a good week. We love you!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mom, I am just posting so you will know I am reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwa ha ha ha ha! Oh, my stomach hurts from the laughter of imagining Janice's wardrobe malfunction. I'm with Eric - just roll with it. When I was expecting Jenny, I was getting set apart for a Stake calling and the entire Stake Presidency and Eric were there to set me apart. After they finished, I stood up to shake everyone's hands and my slip dropped right to my ankles. I just laughed and wadded it up in one hand and shook hands with the other! What else are you going to do? Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had my skirt caught in my panty hose in Primary 2 weeks ago. Lucky one of the teachers caught before I went walking up the hall. I'm sure it would have been a big hit with the kids
    Mary lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you add a picture of your embarrassing
    Moment. Can't quite imagine it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete