Sunday, April 17, 2011

Travel, Weddings, Babies, Farewells, and Stardom

Doesn’t sound like a mission?  Ours covers them all.  We’ll start with the stardom.  I am blogging a day early because tomorrow a filming crew comes from Auckland to follow us around for a day.  The Area Presidency has commissioned a film to encourage more couples to serve missions.  They sent a questionnaire months ago and seemed to like my stories of babysitting via Skype.  They are also curious about our experiences during and after the earthquake.  The camera will be running at FHE and our YSA will put on a show for them.  I must say, I believe that  anyone who sees what we experience will be excited to serve a mission.  Just this week we…

Traveled.  We did the northern loop once again.  We visited with six of our online seminary students, attended an early morning seminary class, went to breakfast with the institute teachers in Nelson, and attempted a meeting with the seminary class in Greymouth (they forgot we were coming and were not out of bed).  It was such a good thing to see the seminary students in person, to see where they live, and to meet their parents.  These visits allow me to assess the abilities and background knowledge these kids bring to each lesson.  I know the online lessons have to be adapted in some situations, and I’m getting a sense for what I must do.  I want each one to finish the year, and that means I have to keep them from getting discouraged.  I know if they can spend some time each day in the scriptures, the Lord will bless them and strengthen them.  For the next few weeks, I’ve decided to create my own, simplified versions, for Shanelle.  I could feel her frustration and sense her lack of basic gospel knowledge.  So, this is why I took all those classes in course development.

As we traveled, we were reminded once again of the beauties of this country.  Here are a few sights from our travels…

DSC_0013

DSC_0014

I’m not sure what kind of birds these are, but they were out in mass in Kaikoura.  We also hobbled our way (with one crutch) up the path to see the baby seals.  It was as wonderful as everyone told us.  These babies are right at your feet, unafraid, and very playful.  They cried, they fought, and they did tricks.  It was so dark that John had a hard time getting good pictures, but if you look closely, you can see the cute little creatures.

DSC_0049

DSC_0065

We stayed the night in Nelson, got up early, and attended Sister Reneti’s seminary class.  Teenagers are the same where ever you go.  I’ll bet Eric can see one of his students in each face (if they would let you see their faces) from Nelson, New Zealand.

003

After seminary, we had breakfast with Brother and Sister Wells, the institute teachers.  They were both raised in Nelson and shared some of their knowledge of the city.  The road running along the coast is edged by a rock wall, a sidewalk, and an interesting chain rail.  All were built many years ago by inmates. 

DSC_0086

DSC_0091

It is autumn in New Zealand.  The leaves have changed colors.  There are a few red trees, several yellow trees, but green is still the predominant color.  The drive up north is truly beautiful.  As you turn southward, you hit the narrow winding roads through the mountains.  In this next picture, the road narrows to a single lane which has been carved from the side of the mountain.

DSC_0110 

We took the drive down the western coast from West Port to Greymouth.  The west coast gets most of the rainfall and so the hills and mountains on that side are very heavily forested.  It has it’s own beauty.

DSC_0134

DSC_0150

DSC_0169

John was fascinated by this tree.

DSC_0163

After spending the night in Greymouth, we headed back through Arthur’s Pass.  It was a rainy day, but still spectacularly beautiful.

DSC_0203

At the summit, we stopped in the car park.  As soon as we pulled in, the Kia’s came looking for a breakfast of rubber and windshield wipers.   They are not shy.  I didn’t dare roll my window down too far.  He wanted something.

DSC_0224

Friday we went to our first Kiwi wedding.  Dallin Caldwell and Rachel Evernden (two of our YSA) were married in the temple in Hamilton, but they had their wedding celebration back here in Christchurch.  When we received the invitation, I had to ask a few questions.  The invitation said from 3:30-11:00.  I wondered if we could go anytime between those hours.  I was informed that you go before 3:30 and stay the whole night.  They have photographs, nibbles (appetizers), a full sit down meal, speeches, a program, and a dance.  It was great fun—lot’s of great people to visit with and a beautiful bride and groom.

029

Today we went to Ashburton for our meetings.  Vine Touli, one of my piano students, is leaving for the Missouri, Independence mission.  She is a happy, musical, faithful girl.  The whole branch will miss her terribly.

001

The Stake President was there today to reorganize the Branch Presidency.  This branch has been without a president since Bill Johnston died two or three months ago.  They sustained President Pongia, a sweet, humble islander.  Vine’s dad was put in as a counselor.  They held sacrament meeting and had an hour for Priesthood, Relief Society, and youth classes.  They returned to the chapel for Vine’s setting apart and some “refreshments”.  I think the Stake President was surprised when he entered the chapel for the setting apart and found the chairs moved to the sides of the room, tables set up in the middle, and an absolute feast including this delectable morsel.

008

John and I both like the knife stuck in his back.  We’re not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

005

Pretty full week, you say.  I saved the best till last.  We got home from our trip just in time for the birth of Samuel Vere Stauffer.  Emily and Eric’s new baby weighed in over nine pounds and is soooooo cute!  We know because we have seen him.  Eric took the laptop into the nursery where we watched the nurse caring for little Sam.  It was almost as good as being there.  I cannot think about the fact that I will not be able to hold him until he’s a year old or I’ll cry.  Instead, I think how blessed I am to serve a mission after the invention of Skype. 

010

It’s been an exciting but exhausting week.  We’re off to bed to get our beauty sleep.  We need to look our best for our movie debut tomorrow. 

6 comments:

  1. Okay...I'm freaking out over the stabbed pig in the chapel! Did you guys eat any of that thing? Man, those people know how to celebrate for weddings, farewells and such.

    I love when you post pictures of the scenery from your trips. I don't know...I might reconsider my decision to visit. What a beautiful place! The rainy over-cast pictures of the rocky beaches and forest are my favorite, and I wouldn't mind seeing those baby seals.

    I can't believe how much you two have to do all the time! I'm glad you're busy though. I'm loving the blog. Thank for keeping us all updated.

    Good luck tomorrow. From one movie star to another...you're going to do great. Lobe you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow we have Johnson cousin celebrities all over the place! We Holmsteads are happy to take the place of the not so celebrated. I am glad they are filming you. I was only filmed once in a trauma film in the ER. Love the blog and all your adventures. We saw the Stake President today so our papers should be off to SLC pretty soon. Will let you know what they decide for "If you choose to accept this assignment" Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update. I can't wait to ride my bike along that one lane road. What a gorgeous place! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie of your mission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Samuel Vere puts those cute seals to shame. He is darling. I need to get up close and give him a hug for you. I think they could make the film look alot like Lord of the Rings - such beauty you are surrounded by. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told Mom about Sam and she said well I'll have to make him a blanket. Love to hear about what you are doing
    Mary Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your blog. I read every word of it and enjoy all the pictures. Congratulations on your new grandson! I hope your foot is doing better. Will I get to see this little film you are participating in? Janice, please email me your mailing address. Love you both, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete