Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Gift

We are finishing our institute class this week.  In preparation for a lesson on Thomas S. Monson, I have been reading all the talks he has given in General Conference since he became the president of the church.  He drew my attention to a scripture, and with the help of the Holy Ghost, I knew I had found a verse that was just for me at this time.  Doctrine and Covenants 88:33 says, “For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift?  Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift.”

In past blog entries, I have acknowledged that we are where we are supposed to be, doing what we are supposed to be doing at this time in our lives.  I have never questioned that.  I have also been honest about my struggles while going about the Lord’s work.  I have experienced great things in New Zealand, but I have been counting the days, weeks, and months, constantly looking forward to the time when I can return to my home and family and to things that are familiar and comfortable.  Basically, I have been glad to be of service, but constantly praying for the courage to make it through.

As I read this scripture, I had a complete paradigm shift.  This mission was not a sacrifice, an experience to be endured.  It is a gift from the greatest of all givers of gifts. This gift was chosen for me by someone who has a perfect knowledge of my desires and my needs.  It was given in love, and, as well chosen gifts are, was given with a desire to please and bless.  I have been looking at my mission through different eyes and can see so clearly that it has been a gift that touches so many aspects of my life.

The gift of a strengthened marriage and family.  John and I began this mission just five months after he retired. We were still figuring out how to spend 24 hours a day with each other in a harmonious manner.  What better way to make the adjustment than on a mission and with the Lord’s help.  Whatever frustrations we have had, have had to be settled quickly so that we could succeed at our work.  We have prayed more earnestly, and more often, for success here and for our children and grandchildren at home.  I have studied his goodness and finally realized that his ability to love is directly related to his eagerness to serve.  I have read stories about missionary companions who shine shoes or other small acts of service.  I could write a book about a companion who anticipates every need and tries to meet it.  I am trying to apply principles learned from him and they are magical.  We have always been blessed with a great marriage, but this mission has helped make it serene and heavenly. 

From the vantage point of a mission, I have watched my children circle the wagons and help each other.  They have supported one another in illnesses, in new babies, and in new roofs.  I am proud of my children.  I can see maturity, goodness, and strength in each one of them.  At home I was so close that I couldn’t see they had become competent adults.  This mission has allowed me to see them in a new and enhanced light.

The gift of understanding and increased faith.  Some concerns that I have prayed about for years are still unresolved, but the Lord answers many questions almost immediately and those answers are nearly always found as I study the scriptures.  Because we study the scriptures so often on this mission (we will have read the Book of Mormon three times this year, the Doctrine and Covenants and Covenants from cover to cover, the Gospels, and many talks given by latter-day prophets), inspiration comes very clearly at times.  This mission has provided learning and growth in areas of eternal significance.

The gift of nature and the beauties of Christ’s creations.  The camera lens allows us to share this gorgeous country with people back home.  Photos, however, do not capture the sound of waves against cliffs or the feel of the ocean breeze.  They cannot depict the majesty of trees or the scent of flowers.  This mission has given me new appreciation for the Creator and His handiwork.

The gift of love.  The greatest gift is the love I feel for my new loved ones—my piano students in Ashburton, seminary students and teachers, the Bells and Bournes, and especially, the young single adults of Christchurch.  These people are warm and beautiful, opening their hearts and arms to us.  We love everything about them.  They are the best part of this wonderful gift.

Another quote from President Monson’s talk [“Finding Joy in the Journey”, Oct. 2008], “Said one well-known author: “Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives as parallel realities.  It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend…when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives—but are grateful for the abundance that’s present…the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.”

Let me share the glimpse of “heaven on earth” I felt last night.  The Christchurch YSA presented a musical fireside—“Come Follow Me”.  The choir performed several numbers and Ellen Chan and I invited others to speak, sing in groups, and share original music and original poetry.  Trevor Anderson made a video about the YSA in this stake that was so touching.  Everyone worked so hard to get the word out.  I have never been to an event in Christchurch that was so well attended.  The missionaries all came with investigators.  Ellen had targeted the young men and young women, hoping to get them enthused about the YSA program.  Many came and they had to have felt the strong feeling that was there.  I had one young woman come up after, tell me that her 18th birthday was on Monday, and that she would be at institute on Thursday night.  Non-members in tears reported that they had felt something so wonderful that night.  The unity and satisfaction that was felt by the YSA’s will translate into a leap forward for this program.  I can feel it in my bones.  It was a beautiful evening—another gift.

6 comments:

  1. What a great post. You're so right...this mission has been a gift, in more ways than one, even for us at home that miss you so much. Wait until you hear Elder Holland's talk from Priesthood session. He talks about missionary work and a lot about senior missionary couples. You can watch it online on lds.org if you want to. You're going to love it!

    Thanks for sharing this mom, it made me feel better about the whole thing too.

    Love you and miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every new post I think is the best you have written. Maybe because your love of this mission just grows. I cried through this one. It is a keeper for posterity and a testament not only to missions but to life and how to live it joyfully. I love you both. I love your examples and your faith. I love your goodness. I love you.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo everything that Jill & Kathy said. They both put t perfectly, as did you in this post. We've all done a lot of growing & I know the Lord is so proud of you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom and Dad,
    It is unwritten, and unable to be written, what exactly you are accomplishing, and what effect you are having on your family members and people who love you back at home, let alone those you serve directly in New Zealand. I've said it before, I say it again- Thank you.
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, moving and powerful post. The only thing missing was a few photos of the New Zealand mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these profound insights. We love you.

    ReplyDelete