Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kiwi Culture…ummm

Friday morning at 7:30, John and I were at the grocery store in the Riccarton Mall.  Pak n’ Save is usually empty at that time of day, but this day there were hoards of students all dressed in costumes.  I asked one of them what was going on and was informed that Uni was having a “tea” celebrating the last day of class work.  (This next week will technically be a study week in preparation for finals that will be administered in the following two weeks.)  Each costumed student was purchasing a substantial amount of alcohol.  What ensued was a wild day, full of bingeing and bad behavior.  By 9:30 a.m. they were urinating on the busiest streets in town.  I snapped some shots of several of them as they walked by the institute building.  They weren’t shy about posing for the camera.

005

008

In three weeks, when exams are finished, they will have another drunken brawl.  Drinking is a huge part of the culture here, and as I watch these young people do disgusting things and develop habits that destroy their  lives and their bodies, I am so grateful for the Word of Wisdom.  I’m also very proud of a large portion of our Young Adults who fell prey to the pull of their peers and participated for a time, but have managed to extricate themselves.  They, too, appreciate this commandment with its attendant promises.

When I first came to New Zealand I was fascinated by the fences and walls that surrounded each and every house.  A view down a nearby street gives an idea of what I’m talking about.

099

Initially I thought the privacy they offered would be advantageous, but I’ve come to appreciate American homes with their defined front doors (here it’s hard to tell where to enter) and open yards that seem to say, “Come on in.  We’re home and we’d love a visit.”  On my walk this morning, I noticed someone had accidentally left their gate open and I got a view that is very unusual.  Notice the gumboots—definitive Kiwi attire.

093

I love walking through the kiwi reserve that is only blocks from our house.  It is peaceful and beautiful.  It reminds me of the Sacred Grove and has become a place for prayer.

057

I know that people back home are putting their yards and gardens to bed for the winter.  Here everything is in bloom.  Just a sampling….

014

030

032

031

037

040

022

107

These smelled delicious…

045

And these reminded me of President Uchtdorf’s talk in General Relief Society Meeting…

029

President Uchtdorf used the Forget-Me-Not to discuss five things we should not forget.  Among them he said we should not forget to be happy now and not wait for the “golden ticket” (alluding to the story of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’).  “In their anxiousness, people begin to forget the simple joy they used to find in a candy bar.  The candy bar itself becomes an utter disappointment if it does not contain a golden ticket.”  I think I got more than my share of the “golden tickets”.  John, my children and grandchildren, my testimony, my membership in the Church, my parents, my brothers and sister, my extended family, my friends, and this mission are all golden tickets.  I hope that there were some left for the rest of you.

I was so sad to hear about Aunt Leah’s stroke.  My wonderful Holmsteads have had much to deal with this past year.  Our prayers are with you.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! I look forward to seeing it every Sunday or Monday. I love that you are experiencing some of the things I have--southern hemisphere seasons, adapting to different cultures and ways of doing things. I have never commented, but something in your post today prompted me to say something: It's interesting that after living overseas for 18 years the completely fenced yard seems more normal to me. When we first moved back to the States, I felt very uncomfortable with an open yard and no front gate. Behind the wall my family was safe--physically and spiritually--and we could strengthen the spirit in our home. We are not unfriendly people and often invited others to our home, but we could control who came in and what they brought with them (which can be especially important in someplace like Africa.) I still mentally picture a fence around our home, keeping out the influence of the world and my family safe and secure.

    Keep up the blogging! I love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I wonder how much studying actually occurs during the study week before exams? Looks like a lot of serious students there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Leah and her family are in our prayers too.

    I'm jealous of the weather you're having. I love Fall, but I am NOT a fan of winter and it's never-ending nature. I will love looking at your blog and all the spring loveliness during the winter months.

    Let me know when your friend is here. We'll get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Janice. We are in Frankfurt preparing to go home. Brent finally got us tickets 2 days earlier to go home. We had a hard time trying to get them. I am just sick about Mom, she was trying so hard to get everything done and start working on genealogy again. She wanted to get Grandpa (my gmpa Holmstead's) book done to give to us for Christmas along with her history. Now I don't know if we will ever have these. I am not ready to take the place of matriarch yet so I hope she pulls through for us. love you lots,

    ReplyDelete