Monday, February 20, 2012

WOW!

This week I get to put in my two cents. I get to talk about my companion. Lest anyone accuse us of being members of a mutual admiration society, let me say this: You are right!  We do love and admire each other mutually, and in a very special way. I am so thankful for this mission because I get to spend every minute with Janice. I get to see even more of how awesome she is. In the past I have watched her be a great and loving wife and mother, a wonderful leader in her church callings, a marvelous teacher in Gospel Doctrine, Young Women, and Relief Society and many other places. I know how she has reached out to many who have needed her love and support. I know of her generosity and kind nurturing way with others who have needed her. There are more things to love about her than I can mention in this blog. Now we are in full time service of the Lord and I get to see her give that a go. Wow!

I have said this before, but, this mission is her mission, I just have to get out of her way, and support her efforts in any way I can. She is truly remarkable! These young people have taken to her great personality and kind nature. She loves them all, as do I, but she has always had a natural ability to draw them in and convince them that they are loved and that we care. Once they know that, then we can teach them through the spirit, that their Father in Heaven loves them, and knows them. The gospel is true and will bring them true joy if they will embrace it. I believe that she has been called here to affect the lives of these YSA here in New Zealand. There are truly some kindred spirits that we will always love and never forget; they will be eternal friends and acquaintances.

Janice has taught me so many wonderful things. She is truly Christlike. There is no way I could have survived this mission without her being by my side. I love to watch her teach classes, not only institute, but occasionally she has stepped in at the drop of a hat and taught some great Sunday school lessons without even seeing the lesson. I could never do that. I have watched her council these young people, and I am amazed at what I hear, because her council is so perfect and right on. I know that what she is saying comes from the Lord. It is what the Lord would say if He were there. That is a beautiful thing to witness. She has been blessed with many gifts, now she is putting them to good use serving her Father in Heaven. I am so blessed to be with her here on this mission. I’ll say it again. Wow!

I believe…

Another thing I want to do is to bear testimony to my children and grandchildren of what I have learned and what I know to be true. Of course some of this I knew before my mission, some of it has been reconfirmed on this mission, and some I have come to know while here on this mission or on my first mission in England.

I believe we were sent here to this earth from a pre-existent state with our Father in Heaven. In that pre-mortal existence we made certain covenants. We knew and understood the plan, and consented to come here and experience this earthly existence. I believe that when we were in the pre-existence we first made covenants with our Father in Heaven. We then made these covenants for the first time in mortality when we were baptized and confirmed at the age of eight years old. We promised! We said we would love Him and He would love us. We said we would remember Him and He us. We said we would obey His commandments and He said He would bless us. We said we would take upon us His name and honor that name by living righteously. He said that we would have joy, because then we would always have His spirit to be with us. We need to try to maintain our integrity by partaking of the Sacrament worthily and living up to our covenants with the Lord.

The Lord is my Advocate. He wants me to live my life in a way that will lead me into paths that bring joy. He has buoyed me up when I was sinking. He has taught me in quiet ways to understand eternal truths. He has shouted at me to wake me up when I was sinking into a harmful kind of spiritual sleep. He has assured me when I have made wise decisions; He has left me to ponder my weaknesses when I have been unwise.

The obligations of faith…

I believe that when we arrive at a level of faith that allows us to start to partake of the fruits of the Gospel, we then take on certain obligations of faith.

I believe that our Father’s children are subjected to various levels of commitment and obligations, depending on their level of knowledge and understanding. When we understand the works of God here on this earth our capabilities to be obedient or disobedient increase exponentially. As the light of Christ grows forever brighter within us, we gain a greater obligation to let our lights so shine among men. Then, when we reach certain levels of understanding, we are required to enter into covenants that are key and essential to our salvation.

I believe that if you are going to survive in this world, you are going to have to rely on your Father in Heaven, His Son Jesus Christ, through the Holy Ghost. Our ability to withstand Satan is in direct proportion to our efforts to bind ourselves to God. How strong is your desire to be righteous and to withstand Satan’s influence?

I believe each of us must live in accordance with what we know to be true, this is integrity. Integrity is a sign of spiritual maturity, when we become determined to live in accordance with the principals that we know to be true.

I believe we should work, study the scriptures, pray, repent, serve, obey, think, set worthy goals, be kind, have patience, be humble, be diligent, have hope, joy, and share our joy with others. Honor parents, honor the priesthood.

I believe that each member of the family should take up the cause of Christ and carry it on to the next generation. I believe that our hearts should turn to our fathers (and mothers) and I believe that the hearts of our fathers (and mothers) are turned toward us. As we draw near to the Lord, he can help us grow.

I thank my Father and Heaven and my older brother Jesus Christ for their love and mercy. I am truly thankful for the atonement and the covenants that we are able to make and to make effective if we repent and live worthily. I love the Lord. I bear that witness in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Oh John - what a beautiful testimony. It really is just what I needed to hear tonight. Our family is so blessed to have you and Janice as our parents and grandparents, and the last two posts on this blog just made us love you that much more.

    We are eagerly looking forward to May 1st!

    Love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad,

    This is what I miss about you.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Dad, you said it so perfectly. When we make a book out of this blog, it will be a treasured heirloom and my children and children's, children will be able to read that testimony along with the testimony that mom has born here as well.

    I love you Dad. Thanks for your example to me and my family. It means everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was reading the words of Father Lehi only he never said anything so wonderful about his wife. I used Janice's blog of last week in my SS class as an example of a modern day psalm of Nephi. Yours is an example of the same thing. You list the reasons for your faith and made me feel like I was being lifted off my chair as I read your words. You have always been great but a mission has amplified your power. There are great blessings in serving the Lord and some of those go to those at home who get to read of your adventures and your testimony.
    I think you are a great team - equally yoked.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your testimony, John. It strengthens mine as I read it. I agree with Aunt Kathy that you and Janice are a great team and your strengths compliment Janice's to enable you both to love as the Savior would. We are so proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Testimony John, Butttt, all that love stuff is making me sick. It's Janice you are talking about and we know you love her or you wouldn't have been able to take all her demands. Just kidding, You guys rock. I am going to tell Neil how much I love him tonight when we kiss and go our separate ( how do you spell that?) ways. Love you two and miss you so much. I need a talking friend again. love, Carrie

    ReplyDelete