Monday, February 27, 2012

Magical Moments

I often make fun of my brother Brad who loves to climb mountains, one after another all over the world.  I think he does it for the beautiful vistas that can only be enjoyed from the top after a long and difficult climb.  There is something up there that makes the climb worth it and keeps him searching for new mountains to conquer and new, magical views.

Like being on the pinnacle of a mountain, there are moments in life, not too many, when things come together just right and you are filled with pure peace and joy.  They usually come at the end of a rather long and difficult trial.  They follow periods of reflection, study, and longing to understand.  They do not come without stretching and tears.  I had such a moment last week and want to record it so that I don’t forget.

We had our night of registration for fall institute.  Kids came for the sausage sizzle and to sign up for the classes of their choice.  I planned to have a small class after the bbq for a few students who needed to do some make-up in order to get credit for the Preparing for Celestial Marriage class we taught during the summer. I was expecting the six or seven students I had invited.  Instead we had 35 show up.  I divided the class into small groups of three or four and invited them to come up with a dating scenario in which there was a problem that needed solving or a question that needed answering.  They were then asked to apply some of the principles that we learned during the class that would help this imaginary couple resolve their problem.  It was wonderful.  They covered almost every topic we had addressed and some that we hadn’t.  Their answers were in line with correct principles and they had scriptures or quotations from prophets to support all of their resolutions.  Some discussion caused riotous laughter as the Samoans bantered with the Maoris.  I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time—those belly laughs that extend life.  Other comments brought tears and confirmation of the Spirit.  At the end of this activity, I asked what they had learned in the class that had changed their thinking and hopefully their lives.  Emma, recently returned to activity after many years of living a life contrary to these principles, tearfully shared her recognition that these truths were lovingly given to protect us.  Brittany, a convert of six months, was struck by the stark contrast between the dating practices of LDS youth and those outside the church.  She was so happy to incorporate these principles in her life and she knew what kind of family she wanted to work towards.  Another young woman shared about how she had been so incensed by some of the teachings until she understood the why behind them.  It was the perfect class and it was entirely taught by the students.  No one wanted it to end.  Wiki told me today how much she loved the lesson last Thursday night.  She said she tried to remember every word that was said to share with her mother.

It sounds so insignificant, but the class was perfect.  I felt such love for everyone there.  I found them so funny and wonderful, and I could feel the Spirit in the room.  I knew that some of their lives will be better because they attended that class and allowed themselves to be taught by the Holy Ghost.  It was a magical moment.  When we got home I could not sleep.  I just kept saying “Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!”  to my Heavenly Father.  I was sincerely grateful to be on this mission.  It took me 16 months to feel that complete and unrestrained gratitude and joy in this work.  It was a long time in coming, but it was worth the effort and the wait.

No matter how many mountains Brad climbs, he has to come back down.  You can only stay on top for so long. He has pictures, I have the magical feeling stored in my head, in my heart, and on this blog.  I will not forget.  

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mom! I'm so glad you had that experience. I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those moments in teaching are like a worthy cocaine to the soul, if that makes sense.

    Aren't they?

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there for that class. It sounds like a wonderful experience. But given a choice I would opt for one of the Swiss Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My computer has been off line for a few days but Kent asked me if I had read your blog this week. He told me it was your best yet. Just thought you'ld like to know that there are many who follow every week who don't always comment. It was a beautiful entry. How I would have loved to be in that class. I think you are right, those magic moments come after hard work and stretching. You have given so much in the months of your mission. You deserve a mountain top experience. I love you.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete