Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pain

Luke Katene, our professional rugby player, has offered his services as a personal trainer to several of the girls who want to get in shape.  They call his sessions the “House of Pain”.  They keep trying to get me involved, but the closest I have come is taking pictures.

007

Sina, Wiki, Ellen, Alyse, and Luke.  Everyone is all smiles before they begin.

060

Sina’s inappropriate attire, and Luke…

061

in his finest.  They do warm-ups…

008

step-ups and exercises to strengthen arms (Ellen in background).

026

They do push-ups and log toss.

027

047

They do exercises to strengthen the core…

073

081

and then they run.  After they get through, they look like this…

058

And that’s why it’s called the “House of Pain”.

There was a certain kind of pain on the faces of the people of Christchurch last week as they announced that the Anglican cathedral will not be rebuilt.  This building was probably the most recognizable landmark in the city, and some say they are tearing out the heart of Christchurch.

Cathedral 005

Even the Anglican Bishop knows that it must come down for safety reasons.  The earthquake damage is too great.

Christchurch_cathedral_Chris_Skelton_Dominion_Post[1]

(This picture is not as sharp.  I had to take it from the internet because no one is allowed anywhere near it now.)

I saw another kind of pain this week as I talked with a young man who has recently moved back to Christchurch.  He told me of his struggles in school, his estrangement from his family, and his lack of friends.  When I told him I loved him, he came back with this startling statement, “It has been 12 years since I’ve heard those words.”

Some pain we choose.  Luke’s trainees engage in activities that cause pain because they know the pain will bring desirable results.  Some pain comes as a result of poor choices we make, but can cause us to change our behaviors or correct mistakes. 

Some pain comes because we inhabit mortal bodies in a telestial world.  Sickness wracks bodies and earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters turn lives upside down.  These pains have to be endured and can teach us valuable lessons if we will allow them to.

However, there is one kind of pain that no one should have to endure, the pain of being alone and not feeling loved.  Twelve years without hearing the words ‘I love you’ is totally unacceptable.  We can all work to eradicate this type of pain. 

If you’re reading this blog, I love you.  I hope most of you have heard it personally from me in the last little while.  If not, I’ll try and get to you soon.

4 comments:

  1. We love you too and can't wait to tell you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time you told me.
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you mom! And I'm very sad about that church. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete