Sunday, August 21, 2011

Identity Crisis…

One of the young adults asked me recently, “Does it seem weird that your best friends are in their early 20’s?”  It doesn’t seem weird to me, but perhaps it should.  When we are through here, will it be an adjustment to go back to friends of our own age?  I don’t think so.  People of all ages have always been interesting and fun to me.  When I’m with the YSA, I forget sometimes that I’m old enough to be their grandmother.  Trevor wanted us to play the ninja game at his birthday party.  I used all the moves I learned from ‘Karate Kid’ (complete with sound effects) to slice through fruit on his big screen TV.  I was simply amazing.  Until the next morning.  I wondered if I was having a heart attack because of the pain when I tried moving my right arm.  When the left arm was equally painful, I remembered my ninja moves and realized I was simply stiff, sore, and OLD.  Yesterday I thought I was one of the kids, today I feel older than my 61 years.  My face feels heavy and tired, like it will take all my energy to smile.  I know that will probably last until Family Home Evening tonight—the kids will come and so will youthful energy.  It’s magic.  Back and forth I go; old, young, old, young, etc.

We visited the Antarctic Center this week with the Bourne’s. 

072

I suppose it is as close as I’ll ever get to that continent.  We rode in a Hagglund—a Swedish military vehicles used to drive around the Antarctic.  It was a bumpy and entertaining ride.

067

041

Alistair, our driver, took us over steep hills (these vehicles can climb up a 45 degree slope) and through a shallow lake (they are also amphibious). 

005

031

One room at the center produces an Arctic storm for five minutes so that visitors can experience the winds and the temperature.  They take the temperature down to 20 degrees below with high winds.  Before the storm…

056

And during…

063

It reminded me of waiting for the school bus in Logan with winds blowing out of the canyon.  Frozen face.

021

This is Mo a tiny blue penguin that has been rescued and lives at the center.  He has a paralyzed flipper, a damaged beak, and is about 17 years old.  In the wild they only live about 7 years, but in captivity, they can reach 20.  One of the workers let me get very close to Mo, but I wasn’t allowed to touch him.  I guess the oils from our skin are not good for penguins.

027

I love Mo!  I would love to take him home to my grandkids.  That would be a good souvenir.

001

This picture has no significance.  I just like it.

We also went down to the Ashburton Branch’s party on Saturday night.  They had a huge feast and then a dance at the city center in Rakaia (about 20 minutes south of Ashburton).  It was great fun.  President Pangia was very good at getting everyone out on the dance floor.  Here John dances with Marina, one of my piano students,

095

and I do my best with my youngest friends.

078

No wonder I’m tired.  Early mornings, late nights…I wouldn’t have it any other way.

5 comments:

  1. Yes please! Bring a penguin home as a souvenir! That would be awesome.

    That picture of dad and the no name guy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Antarctic Center looks very interesting. The journals and stories of the Antarctic explorers are some of my favorite books.

    John looks a bit like Wallace from Wallace and Grommit in the photo with the no name guy. By the way, are you feeding him anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entry, I love the photos. This entry really captures what I feel makes you the best missionaries for your assignment- your rapport-ability. There you go, an Eric created word, just for you. You have great rapportability.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice - I love the picture of you and Amy. You look beautiful. We sure love and miss you.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very young 61. Dave and I are going back packing in the Uinta's this week with Mark and Emily. I seriously wonder how I will survive the hike and the sleeping in the wild with my 60 year old arthritic body. Do you ever get to catch up on sleep? We pray for you every day. I love you both.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete