Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Problems With Weather

It snowed again.  The weatherman called it a blizzard.  It had no resemblance at all to the blizzards I’m familiar with where you can’t see anything but white.  This looked more like flurries.  There are about two inches of snow on the ground, and everything has, once again, come to a screeching halt.  All the schools have been cancelled including University.  (The students have missed weeks of school this year with the earthquakes and snow storms and they never make up the days they have missed.  I find that surprising.) We came to the institute building to let the missionaries and others play ping pong and pool.  It’s not warm in here, but it’s better than being out in the arctic blast.  The wind is howling and it is FEEZING cold.

When we had the last snow storm in July, everyone was so excited.  It was record breaking weather.  When this storm was forecast, everyone was disappointed.  They were through with snow.  I wonder how they would survive a Utah winter, with snow that remains on the ground for months at a time. 

I can understand their disappointment.  Last week there was spring in the air and trees that were full of these…

002

We were hoping to be back in our flat before now.  The snow storm has slowed the workers down and we probably won’t be able to move back for three or four more days.  I wanted to post some videos I took of the Ashburton piano kids, but I only have internet access at the institute building and everything here is filtered so that I can’t download anything from youtube.  I’ll wait until I get back in our flat to post them.

There is not much new to share this week.  The kids are still great adding much drama, laughter, and love to our lives.  The end of the school year is in sight and we are just trying to get seminary and institute students to remain focused.

We were sorry to miss the Johnson family reunion this past weekend.  I tried not to think of all the fun they were having without us.  I just saw Mary Kate on Skype and I had to speak to her very sternly.  I gave her strict orders when I left, not to grow up while I was gone.  She has completely ignored me. 

4 comments:

  1. Mary Kate ignores me a lot too.

    So weird to think you and Dad and there freezing cold in a snow storm while we boil in Utah. It's hot here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great skyping with you both yesterday. The reunion was a lot of fun, but not quite the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote a comment that didn't post. Here were my votes for the most changed at the reunion.
    1. Mary Kate Dickey - so tall and grown up - same sweet girl
    2. Anna Thatcher - so many commented that they didn't know her
    3. Cubba - I looked at him for the longest time knowing he was familiar but not being able to place him. He is so TALL, his hair is so curly, he has grown up.
    4. GAbe - Maria came with her children Anna and Gabe. Gabe is a big, strong young man who is kind and gentle like his mother. Great to see them.
    We missed you both. It just didn't feel right. My, what some people will do to get a button on the missionary quilt.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and John were very much missed at the reunion. We had a great time but it would have been even better if you had been there. But we know you are where you should be.

    ReplyDelete